[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Steeping Grains and Wort Boil Time

Steeping Grains and Wort Boil Time

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Steeping Grains and Wort Boil Time

Postby rjcortez » Mon May 21, 2012 7:55 pm

rjcortez
Light Lager
Light Lager

steeping

Postby slothrob » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

steeping and boil

Postby rjcortez » Mon May 21, 2012 10:25 pm

rjcortez
Light Lager
Light Lager

mash and boil length

Postby slothrob » Tue May 22, 2012 6:17 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Mashing for extract brewers

Postby rjcortez » Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 am

So much good and valuable information in your post for me slothrob. Thank you.

Lower temperature for longer period when I mash. I'm sorry but with each answer I have more questions. Should I use less water in my mash or continue with my 3 gals? I ask because I'm not sure what you mean by "thick or thin" mash - since I've been doing this the same way not even realizing that I was mashing at all. I figured that was an all grain thing. I'm sure I can find a list of base malts, but it would be helpful if they were designated in BeerTools for people like me.

This is a picture of my brew yesterday, showing off it's happy yeasties. We're calling it "Episode Of Blonde".

rjcortez
Light Lager
Light Lager

Steeping vs. Mashing

Postby slothrob » Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 am

Congratulations, you thought you were steeping, while you were actually performing a partial mash!

If you are going to include base malts along with other grains, somewhere around 2 quarts per pound of grain is probably about ideal, but you can go a quart in either direction without having too many problems. Thinner is probably better than thicker.

by John Palmer, which you should definitely own. It's generalized, but it helps give you an idea of what types of grain fall into each category. Be aware that the non-base malt grains that "need to be mashed" require base malts in the same mash in order to supply enzymes.

Steeping base malts, and other grains that require mashing, in conditions that don't allow for conversion can result in starch haze and risk of spoilage in the final beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Return to Brewing Science