Default, Apparent, and Real Attenuation vs. Manufacturers

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

devoneros

Default, Apparent, and Real Attenuation vs. Manufacturers

Post by devoneros »

I've been using the online calculator to assist in recipe formulation. i usually leave the default attenuation box checked but I started noticing i couldn't hit my final gravities in my extract brews. upon checking wyeast's attenuation ratings for their yeast (in which they don't specify whether they use real or apparent attenuation) they were between 70 and 80%, never near the default, around 90-92. today i just noticed the real and apparent attenuation percentages in the final recipe's in the calculator and they're lower in the final recipe than the default which was reassuring but also added enough confusion to my use of the calculator to register on the forum and make my first post today.

i want to know which value between the default, apparent and real i should try to line up my wyeast percentage to.

as a side note, when i lowered the default attenuation below 90ish% i was getting final gravity numbers which seemed more realistic in my extract brewing practices
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Default, Apparent, and Real Attenuation vs. Manufacturer

Post by jeff »

devoneros wrote:I've been using the online calculator to assist in recipe formulation. i usually leave the default attenuation box checked but I started noticing i couldn't hit my final gravities in my extract brews. upon checking wyeast's attenuation ratings for their yeast (in which they don't specify whether they use real or apparent attenuation) they were between 70 and 80%, never near the default, around 90-92.
The default attenuation is not based on the yeast but what is expected for the style. If your final gravity differs from what is predicted, you can use the Final Analysis tool to enter your gravity readings and the actual attenuation is set for the recipe. Hope this is helpful.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff