[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Mash Yield/Fermentability Experiments

Mash Yield/Fermentability Experiments

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Mash Yield/Fermentability Experiments

Postby Legman » Wed May 21, 2008 6:47 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Efficiency question

Postby Beerfart1999 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 am

I made my first all grain beer recently and I like it but I have been troubled over the efficiency results I was given by Beertools. I hope the results are correct, but I would like to run them by someone with more experience.
The method I used was to soak my grain and amylase enzyme in a kettle as I brought it 157-160F and then let it rest for 60 min. I then strained the wort through a cheese cloth and a colander, returning the grain to the kettle and refilling the kettle with water. I then brought the temperature to 165-170 and let that rest for 60 min.
I then added the new wort to the first and the total came to around 6 gal. I then returned the the wort to the kettle. The combine wort had a hydrometer reading of 1.046. I didn't figure it would work past 1.012 and I wanted at least 5% ABV, but I was not concerned because I figured enough water would evaporate during the boil. At the end of the boil I took a hydrometer reading and the result was 1.055. I cooled the sample liquid prior to taking the reading, so I trust the result.
The finished results were as follows:
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5.46 gal
Measured Original Gravity 1.055 @ 60 F
Corrected Original Gravity 1.055
Measured Terminal Gravity 1.013 @ 60 F
Corrected Terminal Gravity 1.013
Mash Efficiency 88.2 %
Total Grain/Extract 10.00 lbs
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 182.7
6 lbs Munich 2RS Malt; Castle Malting info
2 lbs Melanoidin Malt info
2 lbs Peat Smoked Malt info
1 oz Perle (Pellets, 7.5 %AA) boiled 35 min. info
1 tsp. Amylase enzyme (not included in calculations)
Yeast : Lallemand 3767 Nottingham info

Apparent Real
Original Extract 13.55 °Plato 13.55 °Plato
Attenuation 75.5 % 61.2 %
Extract 3.32 °Plato 5.26 °Plato

% Weight % Volume
Alcohol 4.3 % 5.5 %

The 88.2% efficiency has me questioning myself, but the wort was as sticky as extract kits that I have used in the past, so 1.055 does not seem unreasonable. I just have a hard time believing my crude methods could result in that high of efficiency, but then again I used the amylase enzyme, so maybe that helped. Do you think?
Beerfart1999

efficiency

Postby slothrob » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Return to Brewing Science