ProMash software - your thoughts please

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

tikithed

ProMash software - your thoughts please

Post by tikithed »

Has anybody used the ProMash software?
What benifits does it have?

Thanks for your thoughts.
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

Only a couple of times. I guess it's the top PC program right now. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I own a Mac. A friend gave me a PC to run Pro Mash, but I still like BeerTools better. As soon as I heard they are releasing BeerTools Pro, I haven't thought about buying Pro Mash.

Pro Mash does have a lot of features. You can download a demo for free.

I'm still putting my faith in BeerTools Pro!

Al
tikithed

ProMash vs Beer Bot

Post by tikithed »

Now what is BeerBot? I am assuming it is the same format as ProMash & Beer Tools free service. It is $19.95 with a 1 year membership of Beer Tools Gold. Will I have to keep renewing my membership to have a full access to BeerBot?

Thanks
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: ProMash software - your thoughts please

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

tikithed wrote:Has anybody used the ProMash software?
What benifits does it have?

Thanks for your thoughts.
I have been using ProMash for about three years. It is a great program, but the learning curve is steep and the interface is dated. Once you learn the program there is nothing it won't do for a home brewer. I downloaded BeerTools Pro today and I am in the process of learning it. Because of that I don't think it would be fair for me to compare the two programs at the present time. I will say that BeerTools Pro shows a lot of promise, although it is not as intuitive as I had hoped it would be.
steinbierz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by steinbierz »

I have used ProMash since it was first introduced back in the last century? :D I have always liked it but I too am a Mac user. I have used ProMash very successfully by using Virtual PC.

Like ColoradoBrewer, I recently bought BeerTools Pro. LIke anything else, it can be frustrating learning a new program when it does things much differently than the old program. With that said, I am looking forward to learning BTP. I think BTP has a lot of potential and the updates are coming quickly. It seems like it has all the earmarkings of a great program.

My advice would be to pick the program of your choice and stick with it. As a Mac user I wish ProMash would have ported to the Mac years ago but the programmer said many times it would most likely never happen so I moved on to BTP and don't think I will regret it...after I learn the !@#$ thing! :D

BTW, I also agree that, although it will do just about anything, ProMash is seriously outdated. You can't do simple things like drag a corner to expand the screen, I have always had a problem with the program clipping off letters in the different notes blocks, and I have never cared for the print outs.