Mackeson XXX Stout

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mackeson XXX Stout

Post by dartedplus »

I am planning on making aclone of Mackeson XXX stout from the clonebrew book, but I have some questions. First, it says I need 16 ounces of lactose (milk sugar), where am I going to find that and second, is that a pound or a pint???
Ijust tried it the other night for the first time and enjoyed it very much. Plus it is a favorite of one of my friends, so I told him I woudl make a batch and we would split it. He's also going to have to help with the work too. Not that it is all that much work. If anyone can help me with this info I would greatly appreciate it
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Lactose

Post by BillyBock »

Homebrew shops normally carry lactose...do you have one nearby? If not you can mail order it. As far as the amount of lactose, that should be 16 oz. of dry weight and not 16 oz. of liquid volume. So, go ahead and measure out a pound of it. I guess that's the problem with our American system of weights and measures, huh? Good luck on your brewing.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post your recipe...?

Post by Push Eject »

I'd love to see the recipe for that, dartedp.
I just tried that brew myself -- bottled three days ago. Here's the version I did:
http://www.beertools.com/cgi-bin/view3. ... 0000000986
Cheers!
Ollie
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mackeson Stout Info...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

A little known fact about this brew...

Two or so years ago the brands Whitbred and Mackeson were sold to the US brewer Snyder International. Both of these products are no longer made in the UK ! They are made in Fredrick, MD at Fredrick Brewing Company, a Snyder company. This brewery also produces the Blue Ridge, Wild Goose, Hempen (ATF declared all US made hemp beer and foods illegal effective 2/6/02!) and Brimstone line. Snyder also owns Hudepohl Schoenling (Hudepol and Little Kings lines) and Crooked River which are both located in Ohio.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Now its posted

Post by dartedplus »

yeah, I just input it, you can find it under "Mackeson Triple Ed Stout"
The recipe came from "Clonebrews" Sounds pretty tasteeeeeee. I can only hope it is close to the original.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeah, I heard...

Post by dartedplus »

I had heard about that, I just hope that the recipe I have reflects the beer that Idrank the other day. One would imagine tha they would try to keep the formulation the same when they bought out the beer.
Thanks though.