Oktoberfest Yeast Question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

FrankieBoy007
Light Lager
Light Lager

Oktoberfest Yeast Question

Post by FrankieBoy007 »

I am ready to begin another batch of brew, an Oktoberfest, and really don't want to go through the wait of lagering. What yeast would you recommend so I could have it ready to bottle in a few weeks, like an ale?? The recipe calls for 3.5 lbs German Vienna, 1 lb Belgian Munich, .25 lbs German Dark Crystal Malt, .5 lbs German Caramunich1, 4 lbs liquid light extract, .1 lbs dark candi sugar, 1.25 oz Hallertau Hersbruck hops (60 min), .5 oz Fuggles (15 min), and .5 oz Fuggles (2 min).

Any suggestions?

p.s. If you see I need to make any changes to this recipe, feel free!!
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try this yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

German ale yeast: "Wyeast #1338. I have never tried it but on-line research indicates that it is an acceptable replacement for a lager yeast to produce a palatable Oktoberfest beer.

Regards,

James
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Patience

Post by KBrau »

I can see that you are very anxious to get this Oktoberfest beer ready to drink by the start of the actual Oktoberfest, but some things in life only come to those who wait. I am sure you can create a very fine dark ale with your recipe fermenting at warmer temperatures, although to actually create a beer with the characteristics of an Oktoberfest Lager, you are going to have to use a lager yeast and brew it at cooler temperatures.