star san

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

star san

Post by Radler »

Are there any Star San experts out there who can tell me why the solution stays clear for only about 30 minutes after I mix the star san and water. I have read that it is only effective as long as it stays clear so I have about 30 minutes to sanitize carboys, 50 bottles, etc. There must bwe something I can do. my tap water here has a fairly high pH if that means anything. Would like to bottle and brew tomorrow, so if anybody knows anything...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Star San stays effective as long as the pH is less than 3.0. If you mixed it in the right proportions, then the cloudiness is caused by the hardness in your water. If you mixed it with distilled water it'd stay clear. You can get an inexpensive pH meter for about $30--it's a good investment for brewing...and you can check your Star San with it too. Another idea would be to get pH test strips, like the kind used for wine as they go to a lower range than the strips used for brewing.

For what it's worth, I keep a Star San solution pre-mixed in a spray bottle for small surface sanitizing and I usually have one keg with it. It lasts me for months.