Too Few Hops in Porter Recipe

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

BoilOver Bobby

Too Few Hops in Porter Recipe

Post by BoilOver Bobby »

I just brewed a Porter during the Big Brew and when I got home with my beer I realized I had way undershot my hop levels. My recipe called for an once of Fuggles in the boil for 60 minutes, but I used only half an ounce. I got the 1 minute hops (Fuggles and Kent Goldings) correct, but I'm worried about the lack of bittering hops. I was considering dry hopping an ounce or so of Fuggles when I rack to the secondary. Will this help the lack of bittering hops or will it only add to the aroma? Thanks for the help.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Too little too late

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Sorry no one answered your post. You have probably already made a decision on what you were going to do to rectify your bittering shortage.
Dry hopping with impart hop flavor in your beer but won't give you the bitterness that you are short. If it were me, I would have just finished the batch as is and took good notes on the outcome. I would run the modified/ short recipe through Beer Tools to calculate what my bitterness will be and after it is complete and if it isn't quite bitter enough for you. Try a black and tan mix with a highly bittered IPA.

James
BoilOver Bobby

All Worked Out In The End

Post by BoilOver Bobby »

Thanks for getting back to me. I did exactly as you advised and let the batch finish. I added an ounce of fuggles to the secondary and it's been in the bottle for about 2 1/2 weeks now. .

My local homebrew supplier told me that beer can sense when you're worried about it, so I relaxed and let what may come. The beer tastes pretty good, but next time I'll shoot for more hoppiness.

Thanks again!
Cheers, Bob