yeast at bottling?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

yeast at bottling?

Post by Radler »

I posted a short while ago asking about a beer that came out much stronger than anticipated and it's lack of activity in the secondary. Some people responded that I should give a dose of yeast at bottling because due to high abv. my yeast are pretty much done. My question is how is that done? Wouldn't more yeast not produce exploding bottles? How much should I add given that the batch is now under 2.5 gallons? Do I make a starter? Some told me that I would not need yeast, I will decide which I will do when I hear anybody's instructions oh HOW it would be done. Thanks folks.

Rad
Senbei

Post by Senbei »

I did it once, I added 4 grams per 100 liters of dryed yeast along with the priming sugar and left the bottles in a warm place (22 celsius) for 5 days before moving them to the cellar.
The amount of CO2 produced depends on the remaining and added sugars, not on the amount of added yeast, so no risk of explosion if the sugars are right.