Wyeast Smack Pack

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

hinges

Wyeast Smack Pack

Post by hinges »

Hi, I've been brewing extract and Mini-mashes for about 4 years. I've had alot of success and have really enjoyed the process and the outcome of home brewing. The only problem I continually experience (and don't laugh) is with the Wyeast Smack Packs. I have trouble breaking the inner seal to combine the smack pack ingredients. Sometimes when I pitch the yeast the inner seal has not broken but the package is still somewhat swelled. Maybe I'm too afraid of popping the whole thing and I'm not pressing to hard. I don't know. I still have good luck with the beer even if it takes a little longer to start the fermentation. I often use the White Labs Pitchable tubes but sometimes forget to order that kind. Can anyone give me some good hints on how to break the inner seal?
Beer and Black Labs.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wyeast Smack Pack

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Before I get started here I just want you to know that I am not going to be much help. I too have had problems popping that inner packet. I ended up laying it on the kitchen counter and playing the feel and find game to locate it. Once I found it I used the heal of my hand and struck with brut force. Sometimes I don't get it on the first time and the frustration level begins to rise. To validate that the packet is indeed popped, I again play the search and find game which helps mix everything up if I was lucky enough to pop that little sucker.
On a side note, the yeast makes some great beer and I usually start a few days a head of brew day so that I can also make my own yeast starter after the packet swells. I have found that the more yeast the merrier.
Hope I was just a little helpful.
-James-
hinges

Post by hinges »

It's nice to know that I'm not alone. thanks for the reply. :)
Beer and Black Labs.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Wyeast Smack Pack

Post by Push Eject »

Yep, you've got it. Just feel that thing up and then smash the hell out of it.

I've never broken one yet.

However, I have admit that I like the vial better and always make a starter anyway, so the smacking really doesn't get me much...

Gee, bet that didn't help much at all, eh?! LOL :) :D
Last edited by Push Eject on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR

Post by MJR »

After a few times, you should be able to find the inner packet, isolate it and pop it. It can be difficult at first, but it gets easier with practice, believe me.

As soon the yeast packet is completely swelled, I pitch it directly into a half-gallon starter. After a few days, when the yeast has flocculated, I decant and pitch. I try to time it so I make my starter at least 3-4 days before brewday, so I have a pretty solid yeast cake on the bottom of the vessel.

:)
flavaham
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by flavaham »

I also won't be much help on this but I've had the same problem. Can't tell when it's popped! I've considered just sticking with the white labs but I like the beer when I use the Wyeast. The other problem for me is that once I am done brewing I want it to start up right away and the smack packs seem to take longer. My girlfriend just laughs at me because I am up checking on it every 15 minutes until I get a bubble. :lol:
"Beer, the cause of and solution to all the world's problems..."
-Homer Simpson
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wyeast Can Take a Lickin' and Keep on Tickin'

Post by cleone »

I just used my first Wyeast pack and had the same fears of breaking the package when "smacking." I just felt around for the activator pack, guided it to the top of the package (where it is thinest) and smacked away.

No package damage/leakage.
schaefer_man

re: Smack Pack

Post by schaefer_man »

I love the Wyeast strains and haven't had any problems breaking the nutrient pack.

Once you have located the inner pack, palm it and smack away. I warm it up to room temp first but that's just me.
hoover25

Post by hoover25 »

I have the same problems as the rest of you, but I can tell you not to get too upset......I did and popped the whole darn thing. Do NOT smack it too hard.