Growlers for bottling

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

Growlers for bottling

Post by Radler »

I may be bottling in a week, or perhaps three, and alltough I'm trying I don't think I will have amassed enough bottles by that time. I have found some growlers that I got from a brewpub and was thinking of bottling into one or two of them. They have screw tops and are 1/2 gallons. Is this a good idea or will the screw tops be too weak for the carbonation levels (I plan to prime to 1.5) and they'll pop? Tell me anything you can. Thanks endlessly.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by richanne »

Just to be on the safe side, I would go with slightly lower carbonation level than normal, otherwise, yes, they could pop.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
wheelerfreak

Post by wheelerfreak »

I have been using growlers for bottling for a few years now and haven't had any "pop" yet. I use the same amount of bottling sugars as when I use normal bottles. I do tighten the cap on tight and then wrap several wraps of electrical tape around the cap and growler to help hold the cap on.
Dutchbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

growlers

Post by Dutchbrew »

I used a growler with a metal screw on cap and had no problems. i was thinking of wrapping some tape around the top but i never got around to it. still had ok carbonation and no cap pop.
Thegrowler

Post by Thegrowler »

I've brewed around 12-15 batches and have used growlers I've collected from different places. Never had any problem with any of them. Treated them like any other bottle. 3/4 cup priming sugar for 5 gallon batch.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Growlers for bottling

Post by Push Eject »

Are the caps really air-tight? I'm surprised that a screw-on cap would work. Or are they "cap-able with a regular capper.

OR are they swing-tops?

Where did you get 'em?

Cheers,
Charlie