I didn't die... I just have moved A LOT recently!

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I didn't die... I just have moved A LOT recently!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Hey all!

Sorry you haven't heard from me in a while. I blew thru two breweries since my last post!

1) Deep Creek Brewing - McHenry, MD: Rehabed the brewhouse, ordered in grain, yeast, hops & chemicals, set to brew AND... on the 3rd week the owner came in and said they decided not to brew anymore and asked me to sell the equipment. F*@K!!!! :x :(

2) BRU - Rochester, NY: Tidied up from 3 months of inactivity, got materials and brewed. 6 months in, owner states he is out of operating capital for the brewery and wants to stop brewing and operate as a bar/restaurant. DOUBLE F*@K!!!! :x :(

Now... all things must happen for a reason because I now have what appears to be my dream gig with a well capitalized brewery with a long history that is destined to expand!

I am now the Manager of Brewing Operations/Brewmaster for Titletown Brewing Co. in Green Bay, WI. We are slated to hit 1,200 bbl. this year which is around max. capacity. We plan to open a another pub South of us in an awesome location that we are negotiating a lease for presently. Unfortunately, Wisconson has this great ( :( ) law that any corporation cannot hold license for more than 2 breweries! So, to hold onto the possibility to expand with another brewpub farther away, I made the decision that there will be no product brewed there. Instead, we will build a 30 bbl. production brewery to supply key products to both pubs and will brew specialties in Green Bay with an emphasis on Belgian and lager styles. All will be available at both pubs. To check TTBC out: http://www.titletownbrewing.com

Additionally, we will keg and can (YES... CAN) at the production brewery. If anyone has objections to the canning, I can explain why this is a great idea and dispel any urban legends remaining for this container.

Now that I am more firmly rooted, I look forward to hearing from all of you and renewing my participation on the forum.

Cheers!

Eric Watson
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Welcome Back

Post by BillyBock »

Welcome back, Eric. Long time no see. Good luck on the new brewery--third time's a charm they say :-)
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

3rd brewery in a year....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Thanks for the welcome! Well, it's my 3rd brewery in a year, but this is my 7th one in the 10 years I've been in the industry. If your resume looked like mine in any other industry, you'd never get hired as they would think you didn't like to stick around! But prior to brewing, I was a corporate VP for 11 years and my stint with Main Street Brewing was 2.5 years which for brewpubs is "long term". This time around though, I'm in more of a management/brewmaster role since I will be running multiple operations. I will need brewers in the near future. Anyone looking to ditch a career for one in which the motivation has to be passion vs. money? :lol:

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Green Bay may be closer!

Post by Freon12 »

Welllllll nooow.
I know you were in the same State as I (soberness) for awhile, but I am sure it is easier to drive from Indy to Greenbay than from Indy to Evantucky.

Not quite, but at least I could use a highway someone has heard of.

Anyway, I saw some rumblings about reviving the beer exchange that we did with Darted and Gravity awhile back. They both make excellent beer and I hope I sent something in the same league back.
:|

Good lagering to you sir!

Steve at "the moth ball brewery"
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Steve.... I'm an idiot (ohh... you already knew that!)

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Steve;

Once again... I lost your phone #. I looked it up in the directory for Whiteland and the number was wrong! Give me a ring again please, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I am still alive too!

Post by fitz »

Hey guys I am still alive too. Last Sept. I had a flood that wiped out my personal bridge to my house. I have been working on replacing it and finishing the house in my spare time. Like there is any of that.
I am ashamed to say that I have not been able to brew for about a year now. My wife wonders why I am so irratable? I have to walk across a creek to go to work 40+ hours a week, come home and work on the Bridge or house, and the only beer I have to drink is store bought. To top it off, the only imports they have is old skunky Heineken, labatts, or Harp. I have been drinking Samuel Adams, since this is the beer of the most flavor. Occasionally I'll find Sarnac or another, but they are few and far between.
I long for the day I can brew a good beer again. I will try to tune in more often.[/b]
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: I didn't die... I just have moved

Post by Push Eject »

Awesome to have you here, Eric.

Seems like it has been quite a year for a lot of us!

Sven (also of Lancaster) sold his house and bought another... my wife and I and the two wee bairns (they're 1 now) sold our house as well and bought a *brand new* one *without* a sink in the garage!

Harrumph!

Still, brewed like a crazy person for "Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day" on the 5th!

Cheers,
Charlie