What should I give as a gift????

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

katybug

What should I give as a gift????

Post by katybug »

Okay guys, my boyfriend in interested in brewing beer. We are in college and he took a food science class last semester entitled "The Art, Science, and History of Brewing Beer." His birthday is coming up and I would like to get him a starter kit. I have no idea where to start. I would like to get him a functional kit, but not too expensive in case he loses interest. Any suggestions on what to get and where???
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Starter kits

Post by hophead »

Katybug:
Check your local homebrew supply store or if nothing close check the web. I was given a started kit a year and a half ago, she created a monster. You can no doubt find a decent starter for about 70$ which should include all items needed, fementer, bottling bucket, carboy,ingredients for a 5 gallon batch and a sundry of other items.
If he loses intrest, you can send it to me:)Good luck.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Some ideas...

Post by Push Eject »

First of all, what a lucky guy!
I'd start with your yellow pages under beer / wine making supplies. Visit one or two homebrew stores and here's what you may find:
1 - Beginning kit, all the basics $90+ (he'll need to buy ingredients, but will be ready to brew)
2 - A pre-hopped beer-in-a-can kit $25+ (not as in-depth or drinkable, but a fun, safe start)
3 - A subscription to Brew Your Own or Zymurgy -- or maybe just an issue of each.
All of the above are available on the web too.
Hope that helps you get started!
Cheers.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Gift Cert

Post by andytv »

Hello Katybug, it's great that you have decided to give the gift that keeps giving. That's what my wife thought when I got my first kit, now she complains about brewing gadgets laying around, water on the floor, findind people passed out in our bed on brew day, etc.
But anyway, I asked myself the same question regarding a gift for my brother last year...

I wanted him to try his hand at brewing, but wanted to give him the opportunity to pick his own stuff. Most homebrew sotres and websites have gift certificates. I bought one for him, and he bought advanced brewing kit and ingredients for his first two recipes.

Just a suggestion. Try some of the supplier links on this site or try my favorite www.hombrewadventures.com . Keep in mind that these items are bulky and proximity is a priority when choosing a supplier.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

...and a book

Post by l48shark »

Good idea, Andy. Might I also suggest that the gift certificate be placed in a copy of Charlie Papazian's book, "The Complete New Joy of Home Brewing"? It's 10 bucks on Amazon (or available at your local brew shop) and is an indispensible reference for beginners and advanced brewers alike.
By the way, what school offers a course like that? I'm guessing it's not BYU.
Cheers,
-Ford
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

check these links before you buy...

Post by bredmakr »

You have been well guided in the previous posts. I would like to recomend that before you buy check out these websites.
www.morebeer.com
this site is an excellent reference with many starter kits and shipping is free for orders over $40.
www.stpats.com
another great and comprehensive provider of homebrewing supplies.
These two are my favorites and each provide knowledgeable advice if you want to call and ask questions.
I think if you put everyones suggestions together you'll come up with a great gift. Get a starter brewing equipment kit and a book. Papazian is an excellent reference and covers basics to advanced brewing. The only thing that you have to decide is how much you want to spend. If you spend time looking through the posts on this site and read the testimonials of brewheads like me you'll discover that the majority started with the bare necessities and as the hobby turned to obsession/love for the art of brewing we upgraded our equipment. Also worthy of mentioning is the well known fact that you do not need expensive equipment to make good beer. Buy him the bare necessities and if he gets hooked he'll expand and if he doesn't you haven't wasted a lot of money and you can regain some of your investement at you next yard sale. Good luck!
katybug

our wonderfull school . . .

Post by katybug »

We offer that course here at the University of Georgia. You know what the say, "UGA has been graduating the best educated alcoholics for over 200 years."
brewdude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Amazing college classes

Post by brewdude »

My kid graduated from RIT with a bio-tech degree.
One of her classes was centered around brewing. She
figured the prof just needed an excuse to make his own
brew. Anyway.... I now have a resident micro tech
that has helped me culture my own yeast slants (it's
really quite easy, if your a clean freak). At least
I've been able to benefit from all that tuition I've
paid.