Austrian Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

kellybrew1

Austrian Beer

Post by kellybrew1 »

I'm looking for a clone recipe for Augustiner Brewery's Octoberfest "Brau Marzen Bier". My neighor has tasted this on the site of their brewery and claims it to be the best beer he's ever had. It might have been the moment...but I'd like to try to make it for him. Thanks...
KellyBrew
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Specifics...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Extract... extract/steep or all grain? Boil volume and fermentation volume? Can you lager... 45-48 degrees fermentation followed by >40 degree conditioning? Force carbonation or natural?

All of these have to be answered for me to advise on a formulation. This lager is technique dependant. Any deviation from proper technique will most not likely satisfy your friend given the benchmark he has set.

I am aware of how the beer you mentioned is produced, but your ability to replicate it is dependant upon your equipment setup and wort production techniques. If you can provide some specific details, I can provide guideline to approximate your request.
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
kellybrew1

Austrian Beer

Post by kellybrew1 »

Thanks so much for the response. To be more specific: I've been brewing for about eight years and now produce five gallon batches which I generally keg. I use a partial grain (steeping) with extracts and generally start with six gallons in volume. Yes, I can lager and have a digital control on a chest freezer. It's been awhile since I posted the message and my friend has been asking if I've had any luck with my quest on how to brew this. He'll be quite pleased and surprised if you can help me to create the beer.

Thanks for your help....
KellyBrew
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oktoberfest = Marzen

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Here is how to go about recreating this beer:

1) Go to www.bjcp.org. Download the long style descriptions. You are looking at a 3B. Oktoberfest/Marzen. Read these guidelines to understand what characteristics you are attempting to recreate. Do this for any defined style to better understand formulation.

2) I have never had this specific beer, but since they labeled it "Oktoberfest" it should have been in the Marzen style. Beers with the label "fest" behind them in Europe mean "stronger than standard". Oktoberfest is a festival, not technically a beer style... the beer is Marzen.

The range of options you have to recreate it all grain goes from using 100% 10L Munich malt to a mix of Vienna malt, Munich malt & Pilsner malt, usually with the higher ratio being Vienna malt or Munich malt. The most recent one I created at my brewery was comprised of 100% Cargill 10L Munich malt.

3) As far as extract/steep: Use only extra light dry malt extract as your base malt. Due to the fact that you are not mashing under this scenario and therefore are deriving the majority of your fermentables from base malt, you will need to blend a darker Munich malt with 10L Munich malt to achieve the right color & flavor. I would suggest calculating a gravity contribution of 1.040 - 1.045 out of your XL DME & the remainder from the steeped Munichs.

A word of caution on European domestic Marzens: They are lighter in color than those that are exported to the US and tend to be a bit lighter in flavor as well. Take this into account when formulating this beer if replication is the goal. Go out and buy some classic imported examples and get used to the range of flavors they contain. Then compare your friends notes about how the exact beer you are trying to replicate was percieved. This will give you an idea how you need to proceed.

4) Remember that this beer is only to have a moderate hop bitterness, virtually no hop flavor and no hop aroma. Use only noble hops, Tettnanger and Mittlefruh are traditional.

Hope this helped!
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands