Apricot Beer?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Apricot Beer?

Post by andytv »

I was munching on some dried apricots yesterday (trying to lose weight without reducing beer consumption) and I was very pleased with the complexity of their flavor. They had a resinous, almost hoplike character. I'm not a fan of fruit beer, but a light apricot beer sounds good. Anyone ever try??
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try Pyramid...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Pyramid Breweries makes a very nice apricot ale if you need a commercial example for inspiration. It's a lightly hopped wheat beer with just enough apricot flavor to make your tastebuds wake up and notice it's something special. 1994 GABF gold medal winner (fruit beers), and has won a few otherawards as well.

Like most good regional favorites, this is one I can't get 'round these parts, so I have to rely on the kindness of travelling friends to pick this and the Pyramid Snowcap Ale up for me when they run into it.

Coincidentally, I heard an interesting Barry Manalo "apricot" story yesterday, though this may not be the appropriate forum to share it.

I also have an awful story about what happened to my internal piping when I got a hold of a bag of BAD dried apricots in the middle of the Australian outback. Without getting into details I'll just say I spent many hours looking for the elusive Australian toilet paper tree to help me in my time of suffering. I did not eat dried apricots for 2 years after that.

So anyway, good brewing... :-)

Cheers,
Jim
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Memory Sparked!

Post by andytv »

I do believe that I have had the Pyramid Apricot Ale. In fact the dried apricot probably reminded me of that beer subliminally. Barry Manilow & Apricots?? The only way I could use those two terms in a sentence is " I stuffed apricots in my ears so I wouldn't have to listen to Barry Manilow" or " I wouldn't go to a Barry Manilow show if you stuffed my apricots in a cannon and shot them into the arena".

I have become quite fond of dried apricots. What makes you think that the ones you had were bad?? I thought they were supposed to do that. Oh... and if you are talking about the melelueca tree (paper), don't attempt to use the bark on your doopa. The "paper" has a tendency to pinch and drag on the skin....wierd stuff.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oh, Mandy!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

The perhaps apocryphal Barry Manilow story I heard is that Bary likes it rough in the boudoir, and like most folks who dable in that sort of thing Barry has a code word to let his partner know when he's had enough. Supposedly his code word is "apricot." I don't make it up, I just pass it along.

We have melelueca down Florida way as well
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

Apricot Beer recipe

Post by Pyssedas Heavy Industrial »

As a brewer with the love of the stranger beers [and as I eye my nextdoor neighbour's apricot tree] I would be interested to know whether people make their apricotty beer with dry or fresh apricots - advice please?
A thousand monkeys brewing beer for a thousand years could not produce these beers:
www.geocities.com/pyssedas/index
dm641

apricot

Post by dm641 »

I currently have a apricot hefeweizen about ready to bottle, I will let you know. Made with dry apricots, about 12 0z, in the boil the whole time. Dave
Dogger Dan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dogger Dan »

Now I know I am at a good site.

Any blessing and diatribe from "Pyssedas Heavy Industrial" is always worthy

Good to see you here

I use fresh myself, saves having to do water calcs to rehydrate

Dogger
anything less than full is empty
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

apricot beer

Post by Pyssedas Heavy Industrial »

hey dogger - how did the apricots go?
A thousand monkeys brewing beer for a thousand years could not produce these beers:
www.geocities.com/pyssedas/index
OTD

apricot beer

Post by OTD »

Another decent apricot beer is MAgic Hat number 9, though its not all that light and I do believe only avaliable in the northeast (brewed in Vermont if I remember correctly.
wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Another Apricot beer

Post by wwarrior152 »

Another good apricot beer is the duninen ? brewery's peach apricot wheat beer. It it brewed in a small brewery outside of Tampa Fl. It is like a Lay's potato chip, you just can't have just one.
jaitken

apricot??

Post by jaitken »

I just posted a recipe entitled #69. Give it a try. Something I put together that is an excellent apricot beer and a real crowd pleaser. The apricot is not overbearing--just perfect!
BULLMONKEY BREWHOUSE
Btls: Tarrazu Coffee Porter, Pale Ale, ESB, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Milk Stout, Cherry Hefe, Johnny's Dopplebock, #69
Tap: Honey Cream Ale, Irish Draught, Uber Kolsch
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Another Apricot Beer...

Post by wottaguy »

+5 wwarrior152!

Dunedin Brewery's Apricot Wheat is an awesome beer. I always have a couple whenever I visit them! I only get over there a couple time a year....(from the other coast), but it is always a great beer to enjoy.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common