Correct way to steep Malts (Aromatic & CaraPils)

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Kepler57
Light Lager
Light Lager

Correct way to steep Malts (Aromatic & CaraPils)

Post by Kepler57 »

I will be brewing a Belgian Trippel tomorrow afternoon using the following Partial Mash recipe:

Trippel Ale

8lb Alexanders Pale LME
1lb Light DME
1lb Aeromatic Malt 21.6L
0.5lb Carapils Malt 7.7L
1.5lb Clear Belgian Candi Sugar
2gm Paradise Seeds
0.5oz Northern Brewer Hops(60 min. boil)
0.5oz Splat Hops (Dry Hop ???)
Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale yeast (1214)

I was wondering what the best method for steeping the grains would be. I understand the the CaraPils is a dextrine malt that does not contain enzymes, which means it must be mashed in the presence of other enzymes (presumably from the Aromatic malt????).

Is it best to place these malts in the pot with the cold water and leave them in while the temp raises to 150F then remove them.

Should i maintain a temp (120 - 150F) with the grains for a certain amount of time?

I have read aout many different methods and was wondering what works the best in general or for this style of beer.

~ Mike
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Steeping Specialty Grains

Post by KBrau »

I always found the best way to handle steeping specialty grains is to steep them for 45 minutes in a small 6 pack cooler at 150-155 degrees. Then place a strainer over your kettle and pour the mash into a strainer. Then pour 1.5 -2 gallons of hot (165 degree water) over the grains. Make sure you allow all of the liquid to drain into the kettle. This method will provide the best extraction although if you want an easier alternative you can simply place the cracked grains into a cheesecloth bag anc steep it in your kettle while you are bringing it to a boil. Kind of like a giant teabag. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rich
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mini-mash vs. Extract with specialty grains

Post by richanne »

Keep in mind that there is a difference between extract-with-specialty-grain recipes, which typically use the "tea bag" method of steeping you outlined at the end, and mini-mash recipes, which call for holding the grains at a particular temperature (mashing) and then sparging, as you outlined initially. It depends on whether your recipe calls for only specialty grains or whether there are grains that need to be mashed.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

RE: Mini-mash vs. Extract with specialty grains

Post by KBrau »

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to confuse the issue. Richanne is right to say that a minimash is not necessary as the starches in specialty grains have already been converted to sugar. However I do find that it allows for a much greater extraction than the teabag method. Ultimately it will come down to whatever works for you. Good Luck.

Rich
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

My Suggestion

Post by BillyBock »

Kepler: If it were just Carapils (a dextrin malt) you were using, I'd say go for the teabag method because it's starches have already been converted. But you're also using Aromatic malt which should be mashed--it has enough enzymes to self-convert. My suggestion is to place both these grains together (for simplicity) in 2 quarts of 150 deg water for an hour. Then rinse them off with another 2 quarts of hot water (150 deg. or more), top up your boil kettle with the rest of your water, add the extracts and proceed. Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill