ok, found these floatin' in my carboy

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

garfunkalow

ok, found these floatin' in my carboy

Post by garfunkalow »

ok, a few days after i racked to 2nd ferm, i noticed these little floating things in my beer, they are moving around (whether or not on their own i know not) and i do not know if they are way inside the beer (can't see through it) this is a trippel and when i put it in 2nd ferm it was about 7.8%

i just spend about 3 mins watching them, they seem to be rising and falling from the top to the bottom, they are not really fuzzy, more like solids.

here are some pics, sorry about the clarity , it is really hard to take a decent photo of glass.

When i removed my airlock, it still smells like beer (mmm... really good beer) so i don't know if i should be concerned with it or not. i was planning on just filtering those floaties out with a grain bag i have laying around when i keg.

please, any comments or ideas would be helpful as to what the heck these things are. i have done about 18 batches of beer and have never had this...

again sorry for the size of the pics, i just wanted to try and keep the size the same but reduced the overall file size, as each was over 1MB now they are ~300K
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Looks Like Just Yeast

Post by BillyBock »

Looks like chunks of floating yeast colonies getting bouyancy from CO2 to me.

What yeast is it and how long has it been in secondary? Some yeast don't like to settle completely. Put it in a fridge if you can to start cold aging it and drop out suspended yeast.
garfunkalow

Post by garfunkalow »

well i used the Whitelabs Trappist Ale (WLP500) and it is now in the 4th week in 2nd ferm, i racked after 2 weeks in primary ferm.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

According to Whitelabs spec sheet, WLP500 has low to medium flocculation characteristics. So they'll take their time dropping out unless you use some cold aging. I just remembered, the flecks could also be tiny bits of coagulated trub getting buoyant as well. All in all, I think you're fine. Bottle or keg that baby!