funny (not) taste in beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

funny (not) taste in beer

Post by caosesvida »

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and I think that I have a clue. The beer tasted funny right off and then after about a month or two it starts to taste better and by the third month or so it tastes great.
The taste is not in the fementers, not the first or the second. Its in the keg. I use iodine for sterlilzation. The other day I smelled the keg after sterilization and pressureizing it with co2. That smell was in the empty keg . It was like the iodine mixed with the co2 and formed some other chemical. Now I wonder should I rinse more than three times or should I do a rinse with chlorine and rinse , or not use iodine in the kegs just the bottles. I never notice it in the bottles only the kegs and only when I pressureize them with the co2.
has anyone had this problem or have an idea if I am on the rigth track. the funny taste is not buttery its more of a sour taste. thanks.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I am not sure

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Cao,

I am not sure what the taste is or if you are not rinsing enough, but I do know You should NOT use chlorine in Stainless Steel it will attack the metal ... I'll let others comment as well ... I use PBW (Powdered Brewer's Wash), I actaully make my own ... 2 parts TSP/90 and one part washing soda, works like a champ and costs about 1/4 of commercial PBW ... I use 2 oz. per 5 gallon keg ...

Regards,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Check your Gas Lines Too

Post by BillyBock »

You might want to check your gas lines and make sure no beer backflowed into it and decided to hang out creating a spot for nasties to grow--that could be a source of a sour taste.

For cleaning I use PBW. For sanitizing I use Star San--no rinse and a great sanitizer. I've been using these products for 3+ years now and am quite happy with them.
littlehop
Light Lager
Light Lager

time

Post by littlehop »

I have noticed this effect also, but reasoned it differantly. My assumtion is that
bottles age faster ,smaller volume .Kegs tend to take more time for harsh flavors to mellow out .
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.