Dry Hop Help please

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dry Hop Help please

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I am an experienced brewer going on 5 years now, and I have never dry hopped. I want to try it because there are flvors I am searching for and know that the only way to get it might be dry hopping. The question I have is do I use pellets in the secondary carboy or flowers, if I use flowers how do I get them in and out of the carboy, and if I use pellets will they settle out in the carboy. I am completely knew to dry hopping so keeping that in mind, think back to your first experience and try and steer me in the right direction please... Happy new years to all, and thanks in advance for the help.

Paul, the Azorean Brerwer.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sweet smell of flowers

Post by Fraoch »

I found flowers are far better for dry hopping. I normally add them AFTER secondary when the beer is racked off for maturation into a peliminary keg. Several weeks later when all the yeast has dropped clear I just transfer to post mix or bottle. The amount used is so small that problems with them clogging up the tap never occur. Pellets just create sludge which is easy to disturb and are not nearly as aromatic as flowers.I'm a big dry hopper and love to smell my beers prior to taste. Hope you like the results.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Forgot to add....

Post by Fraoch »

Just break up the flowers with your fingers, there may be a problem with sterility here, which is why some people prefer to add aroma hops at the end of the boil and let them steep, although I feel you dont get as fresh a flavour this way.I normally dry hop at a rate of 10 - 20% of the hop quota for the bulk, and of course dry hopping is pointless unless you use premium low alpha hops such as Golding etc.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Flowers...

Post by dartedplus »

Where do you get these flowers and which flowers are best for dry hopping. I know fraoch is the heather flower, and that there are others that can be used, but can you be a little more specific about the other kinds and the smells they impart.
Thanks and Happy New Year!!!! Ed
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Found Part of the Answer to my Question..

Post by dartedplus »

I knew I had seen it somewhere, and in BYO in the summer '01 issue, it has an article on brewing with herbs and spices. Its on page 48 for anyone else interested.