Taking a mash Ph?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

blue

Taking a mash Ph?

Post by blue »

How long does it take for the mash to styabilize after adding the grain so that an accurate ph reading may be taken?Also is it ok to adjust ph downward if necessary after the grain has been added or would the large amount of stirring neccesary to do this have a negative effect on the mash? What ph should my sparge water be?I will be getting a ph meter very soon and have never bothered tweaking my brewing water before and just want to be sure Im doing every thing right.Thanks in advance for your replys!
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sparge water pH is the issue.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Blue,

If your brewing water (liquor) starts around 7.0 the mash will acidify it sufficently. The mash should pH should drop to 5.2 - 5.7.

The sparge water is what you need to be concerned with. The pH should be adjusted to the same pH as the mash or slightly lower (4.8 - 5.2). this will help from extracting the phenols and tannins from the mash should you sparge to 1.010 (or below). Now this is not a hard rule but an insurance issue. If you don't sparge too hot or as low as 1.010 and use well modified malt pH adjustment may not be required. I have worked in breweries that did not adjust for pH at all and used 'less' modified malt and made great beer. Haze problems can arise if you cross the threshhold.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
Dogger Dan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dogger Dan »

I have underestimated my brew efficiency by a few percent, this means I have a few more grains and I don't have to flirt with the dreaded 1.010.

This may lead to an issue if I was doing an exact match but for day to day it works out just fine

Dogger
anything less than full is empty