one bad bottle?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

headwarpage

one bad bottle?

Post by headwarpage »

Hey all,

I just recently brewed my first batch of beer, a very simple pale ale. I drank a few bottles about a week ago, and everything seemed good - no noticeable off flavors. Today, I opened up another bottle, and it had a vaguely cidery aroma and flavor, as well as an unpleasant bitter aftertaste, differnt from normal hop bitterness. I popped open another bottle, and the cidery-ness seems to be absent. So, my question is what might have caused this? I brewed the beer from extract, just using single-stage fermentation, if that matters. I didn't see any type of ring around the neck of the bottle, for whatever that's worth. I'd appreciate any feedback anybody can give me. Thanks.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Acetic/Lactic Acid Producing Bacteria....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

What you describe suggests that an acid producing (beer spoiler) bacteria got a foot hold in one of your bottles. The major producers of such characters in beer are lactic and acetic acid producers. To determine which you have would require a simple lab analysis, but is not really necessary. Just be a bit more cautious with your sanitization efforts. I would suggest using a percabonate cleaner such as PBW and an anionic sanitizer such as idophor or Saniclean, or even better: chlorine dioxide (Starxene/Oxzene). Avoid "one step" cleaners and use only no rinse sanitizing agents.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands