Bottling Filtered Brew

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

HairNutz

Bottling Filtered Brew

Post by HairNutz »

Ive searched the forum but could not find an answer.

I would like to filter my brew before I put it into bottles and was wondering exacltly what all I need and how.

I saw the filter that someone used in another post so I know I need that :) Do I need a 5 gallon keg? Would I simply allow it to ferment and then place into the keg to use C02 to force the brew through the filter? And then use one of those counter pressure bottling wands to fill the bottle as soon as it comes out of the filter? Or would I need to filter it into another keg first and let it sit with c02 to carbonate it before bottling?

Or would I just filter it into a bucket and add the priming sugar and bottle like normal?

Thanks for any answer / input.

Dave
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Probably...

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I would recommend racking the beer into a keg through the filter and force carbonate. The beer must be well carbonated before you use the counter pressure bottle filler to fill bottles. If you are filtering out the yeast then bottling with priming sugar will not produce carbonation in the absence of yeast.

Cheers,
Nate
HairNutz

Post by HairNutz »

I wasnt sure if the filter actually removed all of the yeast or if enough was left to work with the sugar.

In order to force carbonate, do I just connect the keg to C02 and leave it sit for a while? How long? How much pressure? Ill try searching the forum more for the answer.

Thanks!
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Testing

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Tomorrow I am testing a carbonation method that hopefully will result in beer being carbonated in a few minutes, I will post back.

Cheers,
Nate
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Push Eject »

HairNutz wrote:In order to force carbonate, do I just connect the keg to C02 and leave it sit for a while? How long? How much pressure?
Try these links:
http://www.homebrew.com/articles/article12018101.shtml
http://byo.com/departments/620.html

Cheers!
Charlie