how do i prevent sucking sanitizer during cold conditioning?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

blue

how do i prevent sucking sanitizer during cold conditioning?

Post by blue »

I just tried to cold condition for the first time and i ended up having 1/2 a gallon of sanitizer sucked into the carboy through my blow off hose while it was cooling down to 37 over several days.how can I prevent this in the future and what tricks do you use to deal with the vacuum effect created while cooling? thanks very much,

blue
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Simple solution

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Disconnecting the blowoff tube from the carboy, waiting a couple seconds and then putting it back on should do the trick. Do this every few hours i.e., before you go to work, when you get home, and before you go to bed. This should do the trick. You may not even need to do it that often. Don't worry about doing this once the beer is close to the ambient temperature of the fridge or freezer.

Nate
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bung it before you cool it.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Blue,

The method that we employed in the brewery was to close the valve on the vent pipe to seal (bunged) the tank before cooling. We did this before fermentation was completed to keep a slight head pressure in the tank. Head pressure in your carboy is not as critical as it is when using a tank.

If you have a tank of CO2 you can add a layer of gas above the beer.

This batch should be find but seal the container before cooling.

Good brewing,

Tom F.