Iodophor

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Iodophor

Post by BillyBock »

I recently used iodophor, in the proper concentration, to sanitize the secondary before racking to it. However, I realized after the fact that I forgot to let it air dry or rinse with water (I'm used to using One-step) Anyway, should I be concerned about it? Should I expect any off-flavors?
chupacabra

no need to rinse

Post by chupacabra »

Iodophor is a no-rinse if mixed properly, I use it all the time and never rinse with it. (1 tablespoon to 5 gallons)
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Idophacts & Chlorine Dioxide...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I wanted to add some facts about idophor use that some people don't realize:

1) Don't use it in water above 85 degrees. This is the point that it's effectiveness begins to errode.

2) If the amount you have used renders the water/idophor to a light amber color... you've used enough to be effective. As long as this color does not change, the solution WILL sanitize.
At this concentration... yes, no rinse is required.

I have always been a fan of idophor as I find it easy to use and effective for spot sanitizing and carboys.

It tends to stain too much to use with plastic, so I avoid it on fermenters, vinyl hoses and plastic airlocks(although I now use glass airlocks).

A Better Alternative, In My Opinion:

Primarily, I use Five Star's Starzene or it's less concentrated brand mate, Oxine. Both are forms of stabilized chlorine dioxide, which is about the most potent sanitizer you can get. The bonus is it breaks down into hydrogen & oxygen as it degrades, so it doesn't hurt the environment.

The stuff is completly clear and effective within 2 minutes of contact at proper concentrations and is no rinse. Unfortunately, it is not nearly as cheap as bleach or idophor, but it also is a better sanitizer and there is little risk of flavor problems with these sanitizers.

A cool property of these products that neither bleach nor idophor can claim is use in sanitary storage. If sealed, chlorine dioxide will maintain the sanitary surfaces of anything that has been cleaned properly and is fully immersed in the solution. You can use these sanitizers in stainless without fear of damage as well.

And For the Sanitarily Obsessed Brewers:

My favorite method is to STERILIZE... Home Improvement's Tim Allen would like some of my abuses and uses of pressure cooker design to generate high temp. steam for sterilizing corny kegs and various other items such as the aformentioned glass airlocks. (Rhhr...Rurrr ! More POWER !!!) Dangerous, but if you don't blow anything up, it's as good as the results the macro brewers get!

When not abusing the design of the pressure cooker, I use it to sterilize flasks, tubes, petri dishes and media for yeast work.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

I rinse (now)...

Post by l48shark »

While Idophor is supposedly a no rinse formula, my first several batches after I began homebrewing exhibited an unusual off flavor that I had trouble nailing down. (I believe the solution was properly mixed, etc.) I began to briefly rinse my glassware with very hot water after sanitizing and the flavor disappeared in the next batch, which leads me to believe it was the Idophor. If you notice a consistent and undesirable flavor, I suggest you try rinsing with hot water as this worked for me.
Cheers,
Ford
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks to all of you for providing me some insight. I did some additional reading and learned that at times you have to acidify the water used to get the light amber color especially if the water is alkaline. Our tap water pH in NE is 8.6-8.9, and the resultant iodophor color was a very light amber (no acid added)--so I think I'll be ok.