CO2 Hangover/Headache

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

CO2 Hangover/Headache

Post by fitz »

Does anyone else experience the morning after hangover, headache when they use bottled CO2 to carbonate, and "push" their brew. I always thought I was nuts, (Well, I probably still am) but some other people I know have also stated the same thing. Bottled CO2=headache, whether it be domestic swill, or homebrew. Is there any way of reducing or eliminating this type of headache. It isn't just when I drink 26 beers, it can happen with only a couple.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Question

Post by jayhawk »

Are you saying that you do not get a headache when you drink naturally carbonated beer? Or perhaps you are not drinking enough water. Dehydration is the most common cause of a "hangover".
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Radiator

Post by Freon12 »

That happens when I don't clean the radiator when cooling wort.........

Just kidding!

I have noticed this to a small degree, I always thought it was high fermentation temps and fusal alcohols. You can buy mocron filters to filter your co2 to check this out, try another supplier or check for a clean tank.

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Natural carbonation is great.

Post by fitz »

I do not get a headache when I drink bottle conditioned beer. I don't get one when I drink any bottled beer, or keg beer that is pushed with air. But when you apply the CO2 tank, I am going to have a headache the next day. 2 beers or 20 beers the headache may be worse with the more consumed, but it is still there. It may be the places around here that we fill our tanks. most are welding supply places, maybe they aren't pure CO2. I'll try another supplier and see.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

There was a post...

Post by jayhawk »

by Mesa about filtering the gas from the tank as Freon has suggested. Mesa mentioned that it is suprising how much crap actually comes out of some of the tanks. You may want to investigate this.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Houston, I think we found our problem

Post by fitz »

I do not have a filter on my setup. I don't remember ever seeing a filter on any setups before. I am getting a headache, not from the co2, but from all of the crap other gases/impurities that i'm getting with the CO2.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yuk

Post by jayhawk »

Pretty nasty stuff. I have been getting my CO2 from a beverage supply place, and have not been experiencing any problems at all. But I could see how a welding shop would not be as concerned about impurities etc. Good luck.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not yet, and I hope never

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I am still working on my first C02 bottle, only started kegging late last year and have consummed maybe 6 kegs. I can honestly say that I have not experienced that phenomenon, I hope I never do, but the minute it does happen I'll buy a filter.

Paul.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

So where would you buy this filter?

Post by BarleyMan »

I've noticed an occasional headache as well, and get my cylinder from a welding supply place in town. I know that "sometimes" I probably imbibe a little too much alcohol and not enough water, but I do drink a fair amount of water and usually don't get dehydrated.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

havent had a hangover in years

Post by Fraoch »

chances are that your hangover is produced by the ingredients in your beers.dehydration will certainly cause a dry mouth, but the headache im afraid is due to inferior ingredients.
try this; make a beer that has No sugars, pure yeast and good temperature control during fermentation, and try not to let the trub fall through the wort.The Germans have Reisengesbot for VERY good reasons.
Fraoch
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sorry Fraoch

Post by fitz »

It isn't the ingredients. I use only malt hops water and good yeast. Unless making a specialty beer like honey ale(You couldn't really make it without honey) You must not have read the entire thread. I don't get a headache with bottle conditioned or air pushed kegs, just with the CO2 I think the others solved my problem with the filter on the CO2 line.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

morebeer.com of coarse!

Post by Freon12 »

I really like this site.

Steve
LouBrewBro

c02

Post by LouBrewBro »

I also get headaches from C02. I've noticed if I go to a micro brew here in town, I get a terrible headache while my freinds don't. I honestly think only certain people get this way.

I don't usually get these headaches if I go to some corporate place and get a pint though. I'm assuming the small brewery does it differently.

I would love to know the reason for this though. This is the whole reason I found this forum.
Alvin

CO2 Hangover/Headache

Post by Alvin »

Don't be so quick to blame these headaches on CO2. If you drink coffee or tea on a regular basis and you enjoy a few beers and neglect drinking enough caffeine beverages over a period of time you may develop a caffeine withdrawal headache. Mine can last for a couple of days. They are very dull low level headaches and cup of good strong coffee can get rid of the headache in 20 minutes or less. If you stop drinking caffeine it may take 2 to 3 days for the headache to develop but sooner or later it will probably happen.