First All Grain

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

First All Grain

Post by Shaft42 »

Hello, I brewed my first all grain yesterday and it was great. The problem is I missed my target gravity, TG = 1.075 FG = 1.062. I used Beersmith for my calculations. Infusion mash for approx. 70 min at 152 F, mash out with 2.5 gallons, and sparged with 2 gallons. I think my sparge was a little too fast, it was finished in about 20 min. The problem was I ran out of sparge water and had to just drain off the remaining water in the mash. I am thinking this is why I missed my target. Next time, I think I will have 4 gallons (to insure I have enough) of sparge water and shoot a 30 sparge. Will that resolve my issue?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Congratulations

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Good for you ... Yes slowing down your sparge will help. I target 7.5-8 gallons of total water, and shoot for 5.25 - 5.5 in the fermenter, so that when the secondary is complete I end up with 5.0 gallons for my Corny Keg, works everytime.

What I am saying is that if I use 11 lbs of total grain, I start with 3 gallons mash water, mash out with 1 gallon water, then sparge with 3.5-4 gallons water (thus the 7.5-8 gallons total). This gives me around 7.0 gallons to boil with and boil down to the 5.25-5.5 finall amount for primary depending on 60 min. or 90 min. boils.

I remember the first all grain I did, checking everything twice, once you get 4-6 batches under your belt you'll know pretty much what to expect.

What recipe did you brew ?

Paul.
Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

Coffee Stout

Post by Shaft42 »

Thanks, I really enjoyed brewing all grain. I brewed a coffee stout:

11 # American 2-row
2 # Flaked Barley
1 # Roasted Barley
.5 # Chocolate Malt
1 oz Centennial Hops (60 Min)
White Labs Irish Ale P004 1000ml Starter
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

flaked barley

Post by BarleyMan »

Let us know how that flaked barley works for head retention. I recently brewed a great coffee stout and kegged it. It comes off with a good head, and holds a little, but after a few minutes it's pretty thin. The beer however is just as fine as I had hoped.
Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

re: Flaked Barley

Post by Shaft42 »

Will do, how much did you use in your coffee stout?
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

No flaked used in this recipe

Post by BarleyMan »

Sorry... I wasn't clear. I didn't use any flaked, and am wondering if I should add a bit to the recipe. Thanks in advance!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Flaked barley

Post by jayhawk »

I use flaked barley quite often. I'm a big fan. It works great for head retention, and I find it tends to leave less haze the wheat malt, which is also good for head retention. I think dextrine or carapils malt is also good for this purpose, but I prefer the flaked barley. i use about 0.5 pounds per 5 gal.
grog bog

flaked barley

Post by grog bog »

I have read that flaked barley diluted nitrogen in the beer, giving a craemier head.
You can use 400 to 500grans in a good stout all grain
Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

Good stuff but...

Post by Shaft42 »

Ok, this beer is pretty darn good. It needs to mature a couple more weeks and then look out!! So, what category would you enter a Coffee Stout in the NHC? I was thinking experimental/specialty. Here is the recipe:

11 # American 2-row
2 # Flaked Barley
1 # Roasted Barley
.5 # Chocolate Malt
1 oz Centennial Hops (60 Min)
White Labs Irish Ale P004 1000ml Starter