Happy-hoppy Pale Ale recipe question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Happy-hoppy Pale Ale recipe question

Post by BarleyMan »

I wanted to try the Happy-hoppy PA mini-mash recipe found on this site, and am hoping (hopping?) that "richanne" who put the recipe up will see this and reply. The recipe calls for three hop additions, the last being 1 oz of Cascade in the last minute of the boil. The directions call for dry hopping in the secondary, but without saying how much of what. Can you clarify? Anyone else with suggestions? I've never dry hopped, but am curious to try it out. Should I split that final ounce of cascades 1/2-1/2 between the final minute of the boil and dry hop the rest? Thanks guys!
Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

Dry hopping

Post by Sisu »

I'm not the author you're hoping for, but I dry hop a lot. I typically add between 1-2 oz of pellet hops to my secondary and let things settle for 1-2 weeks before bottling. If I were you, I would use 1 oz at the end of the boil and add an additional 1-2 oz to dry hop. If you care about beer clarity, you should know that the more hops you add to the secondary, the more chill haze you'll get.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

best (or your preferred) way to reduce chill haze?

Post by BarleyMan »

I'll be kegging the beer. How can I reduce haze most easily?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Time & Cold

Post by BillyBock »

Time & cold temperatures are your friends when it comes to the easiest way to get rid of chill haze. If it's cold enough, long enough, they'll just drop to the bottom. A faster method is to use Polyclar.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Recipe here is slightly wrong

Post by richanne »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The Happy Hoppy Pale Ale recipe actually calls for 1 1/2 ounces of Cascade hops. You should add 1/2 ounce in the last minute of boil and dry hop 1 ounce. You can buy a kit to brew Happy Hoppy Pale Ale at http://www.bradyshomebrew.com for $24.77. Click on Great Recipes on the left hand tool bar and scroll down to Happy Hoppy Pale Ale Mini-Mash. The advice offered here on reducing haze is right on. Sorry if the recipe advice is too little, too late. Haven't visited for awhile.