Conditioning in a keg?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

Conditioning in a keg?

Post by Justin »

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried alowing beer to condidion in a soda keg using priming sugar instead of injecting CO2?
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

all the time

Post by canman »

while I seldom if ever do this it is common practice by others. I can't imagine why though. Use one of the many online carbonation calculators to figure the amount of sugar
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sampling one now...

Post by BarleyMan »

I've got a delicious bock that's been in the keg for just over 2 weeks that I primed with sugar. It's very good.

Cheers!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Why not?

Post by fitz »

I have done this numerous times with good results, hell, great results. I a quest to make the clearest beer, a lot of people look down on the cask conditioning, but only the first one or two beers are a little cloudy. Once you empty the keg, you can look inside, and see that the first couple beers cleaned an area of a half dollar away from the dip tube, and the rest of the yeast bed is there and intact. If you started brewing because you liked import beers, and like variety(like I did) cask conditioning is right for you. Most imports I like have a yeast bed in the bottle, so why not in the keg.
Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by Justin »

Thankyou all for youre help.
Justin
Light Lager
Light Lager

One last question

Post by Justin »

Is the CO2 from fermentation enough to push the whole batch from the keg? Or will I have to pressurize it a bit?
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

You'll add pressure

Post by BarleyMan »

You will need to purchase a CO2 tank or one of the CO2 cartridge injectors to keep the pressure up for dispensing. You don't want to use one of the hand pumps as this will introduce anything in the outside air (including oxygen) into the tank, spoiling your beer. As long as it's under CO2 it'll keep for quite a while.