beer temperature

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

claynmold

beer temperature

Post by claynmold »

Hello all, I was just wondering if there is a correct temperature to serve kegged beers, and if it changes with the style of beer. Just started kegging my home brew and don't know what temperature to keg the beer and serve the beer.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

What temp tastes best to you?

Post by bigdosgood »

That is an opinion thing really. I like my beer between 40-50 depending on the style, but commercial beer, is usually best cold,32-35 because it has no taste anyway.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

It's Up to You

Post by BillyBock »

I lager and serve at the same temperature, 28F. Of course, I also use my freezerator to supply cold air to my fermenter chiller. It's out in the garage, so by the time it hits the faucet it'll warm up slightly.

Whatever temp you pick will drive the pressure you use for your carbonation level. See any standard chart to see what to set it at. Mine is set for 8 psi @ 28F, which I think is a standard carbonation level.

And don't forget to adjust your line length to provide the proper resistance (based on your pressure setting) so you don't have foamy beer.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

It won't freeze at 28 degrees?

Post by bigdosgood »

How do you keep it from freezing up? I have a converted freezer too and it is set at 31 so, at 34 it turns on and at 31 it shuts off. I haven't frozen any beer yet, but a clean Cornykeg full of water did. The beer was continuously being used, the water wasn't. Anyway, I may try 28 degrees too. I do like my darker ales and all a bit warmer, I lived in Germany for 10 years!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Nope, Sure Doesn't

Post by BillyBock »

In general, the freezing point of your average beer is 27F. The stronger it is, the lower the freezing point. There was an on-line calculator somewhere based on ABV. My thermostat has a 4 deg differential, so it turns on at 32F and shuts off at 28F. I've placed a fan inside to run continuously to even out the temperature variations so there's pretty much a uniform temp in there. Here's some of my gear http://webpages.charter.net/patriot-brewing/

When I get more free time I'll make a better site. My intention was to have the freezer pull two jobs--keep kegs cold (lager and serve) and provide cold air to my fermenter enclosure. I also didn't want water condensing inside the freezer. So I settled on 28F. This way the beer doesn't freeze, the water never thaws, and I can supply cold air to my enclosure all at the same time. Works good, lasts long time. :-)

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

v/r
Bill
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cool Freezerator!

Post by bigdosgood »

As I said before, I too have a simular setup. As of right now it has 2 taps on it and I used a 2x12 for the spacer. My new freezer, a monster, will be here Sunday. After it gets here, I will put a 2x6 spacer on it because only hoses and a thermometer will be involved. All of my taps will be on the first Beer Box. The big one will be for lagering and commercial kegs, sorry, the lady likes her Bud Light. Anyway, that will free up the space in my first box for nothing but real beer!

I am curious, what kind of fan are you using? I have thought about that too because the upper level is much warmer than the lower. I will also adjust my temp. Thanks

Oh, on that Flat Tire recipe, I noted that you had the water listed as Ft Worth, I'm in Houston.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Fan Type?

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks, fellow Texan! I don't remember where I got the fan (Home Depot or Lowe's maybe?) It's made by Honeywell, runs off AC power, and has 3 speeds. I have it run continuously.

I had the same problem with temperature stratification, up to 15F deg difference in the summer. I used 2x10 because the wood had to be long enough for the hinge screws to go into--I didn't want to go modifying the metal itself. It adds some weight, but gives me room for accessories.

Try this lawnmower beer recipe, maybe your wife will like it. I served this at a party in May--no commercial beer there, only homebrew, and a lot of the crowd normally drinks Coors Light (yuk). They enjoyed it, and it's decent enough for me to enjoy on a hot day:

4.5# pale extract, 0.5# corn sugar, hop to IBU of 14-16 Hallertau, aroma hop with 0.5 oz Saaz. Any clean ale yeast or a lager yeast will do. You should have an OG around 1.036 and a FG of 1.009, similar in specs to a British session beer.

v/r
Bill
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

I didn't think about that!

Post by bigdosgood »

You may be right in my cas too. I haven't measured the hinges on the new box, it won't be here until tomorrow. Before I try the 2x6 on it I will measure it. It is just that the coler is already tall so I want to use as small of a spacer as possible. I may have to get a 2x10, hopefully my hinge won't be that big.

So the fan you are using is just a small electric fan, nothing special? That is easy then, thanks. I am going to try that recipe and see what happens. I came up with another that I call Budweiser on Crack, it may look like that watery stuff but it will be a 9.2% ABV beer!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

LOL

Post by BillyBock »

Bud on Crack...what a hoot. It's funny how many of the "uninitiated" think that "dark beer = strong beer", and "pale beer = weaker beer". Yeah right! They need to try a trippel or a maibock sometime, LOL.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bud On Crack!

Post by bigdosgood »

This is going to be a tough one! I am looking at like 20plus pounds of grain including rice, then another 7 pounds or so of extract. I don't remember exactly, but it should be a kick in somebody's butt anyway! You are right, if it is dark people think it is strong. Well, look at coors light, my pee is darker, maybe that is why they think that way? Actually, it is the hops that get them, some people just have weak taste buds. What beer is that with the bitter beer face commercial? Tat should sum it up! Bitter beer is the good stuff!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bitter beer face

Post by fitz »

I have a red ale that the first taste to your buds if a strong bite, and then it is smooth and malty. What a great beer. I like it balanced, and I think it is my best yet. I am going to have to replicate it to make sure everything is right. I'll post it if I got it down to a science.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sounds good

Post by bigdosgood »

Definately let me know, I like to do recipes that have been tried out. My last batch came out pretty good, although the Amarillo hops are great accross the board, it is a different flavor, but I like it.