Does "Low Carb" = Low Alcohol"?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Does "Low Carb" = Low Alcohol"?

Post by bigdosgood »

Hi, I am confused, what is up with this low carb thing? Alcohol is actually a Carb, if it is "Low Carb" how can it have any alcohol? Isn't this just beer flavored water?

David
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yeppirs

Post by BillyBock »

Yep, that's my take on it. The Big Boys are just cashing in on the latest diet fad. Remember...."light beer is for people that just like to pee a lot." :-)

v/r
Bill
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

All about the money!

Post by bigdosgood »

It amazes me that people just don't get it. If you normally drink strong pee water, Bud, then switch to BudLight, it takes twice as much, almost, for the same effect! But the beer costs the same! Now, BudLight-Light, or what ever they call it! What is next, beer flavored water?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Get A Load of This

Post by BillyBock »

Just for grins, I checked the gravity of Coors Light months ago. Care to take a guess what it was? It was 1.002-1.003. That's right folks, almost like water. Very little residual sugars = very little flavor, but of course we all knew that one.
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

FG Too Low?

Post by bigdosgood »

This brings up a good question, maybe you can help me with this. I just did a batch that had an OG of 1.068, the calculator said it should have an FG of 1.016 or so, but it came out like a 1.06! Whay does that mean, how can it get so low when it started out so high? It is pretty strong, tastes great too!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

FG too Low

Post by BillyBock »

It depends on wort composition, yeast strain, and OG. Was this an extract beer? All grain? What was the recipe? Was 1.068 your actual OG or predicted? I assume you meant your FG was 1.006 and not 1.06 (which would be 1.060).

On average yeast attenuate at 75%. If your actual OG was 1.068, then this means your attenuation was like 91%! I suppose it's possible, but without knowing your recipe, I'd say your actual OG was lower than you thought, or you had one heck of a lot of sugar in that recipe. Let me know specifics on the recipe and I'll see if I can give you a better answer.

v/r
Bill
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Specifics

Post by bigdosgood »

I used 18 pounds Amber LME, 1.5 pounds Munich and 1,2 pound Chocolate malt. I also added 1 pound Lt Brown sugar in a 12 gal boil. 1oz Amarillo 60 mins, 1oz for 15 mins, 1 oz just prior to chilling. It came out great, that Amarillo Hop has a good flavor. The OG was 1.068 and the FG was 1.006. I used 2 European Ale Yeast from Whtelabs and since one was a little old and I had a dry Ale yeast of some sort laying around, I added that too. During fermenting that started almost immediately, it was practically boiling! I fermented it at about 73 degrees for 7 days then used my kegs for the secondary, a week later I force carbonated it!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hmmmmm

Post by BillyBock »

Sorry for the delay. I'm thinking it may have been the dry yeast. Something similar happened to me 2 years ago. I used Nottingham and it took an OG of 1.044 down to 1.004, which is 91% attenuation also. But why is puzzling. Not all LME is created equal. Some are more fermentable than others. The only other things I can think of are: did you remember to temperature correct your hydrometer reading, or is it possible your hydrometer is out of calibration?

v/r
Bill
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

As far as I know

Post by bigdosgood »

The LME I used came from a brew supply that is a pretty big company that also sells bulk through a sister company. It was a "Value Line" Amber kit. 6lb per kit, plus 1oz hops and yeast for like $12.99 or so. I bet it was a cheap sugary extract. I used some grains in a tea bag to add some flavor. It really came out good. It is strong too. I had 4 or 5 last night and was numb! As far as my hydrometer reading, that was the adjusted reading. I lost the actual since but that was what it was after adjusting for temp. I think it was something like 1.060 at 75 degrees or so. I used the final analysis and another program and that was what both came up with.