Keg refit

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Keg refit

Post by jayhawk »

What parts of a used corny keg should be replaced before I put precious homebrew in it? I may be able to acquire a few used Coca-Cola kegs on the cheap, but how much will it cost to refit the kegs with new seals/hoses? Are these parts readily available, and where do I find them?

Chris
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Kegs

Post by BillyBock »

At a minimum you want to replace the gaskets. You can get gasket rebuild kits for about $3, it's cheap insurance--especially if the keg held soda or soda syrup in it--those smells stay in the rubber forever. You might also consider replacing the poppet valves ($5) and the pressure relief valve ($10). However, I'd check to make sure the keg holds pressure after replacing the gaskets before replacing these parts--you may not need them.

If I remember correctly, Coca-Cola used pin-lock kegs instead of ball-lock kegs (Pepsi). Since the two aren't interchangeable, you might want to consider standardizing your keg setup to either all pin-lock or all ball-lock. There is a way around this, and that is to purchase quick disconnect with threaded ends instead of barbed ends. The threaded variety will allow you to thread a barbed connector on there, which would be part of the hose. This way since the hose would be interchangeable you can use either pin-lock or ball-lock.

Most homebrew shops carry these parts. If not, you can always go online to morebeer.com or another similar site.

v/r
Bill
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

another keg resource

Post by bredmakr »

my favorite keg and keg parts supplier is Sabco out of Toledo, Ohio. www.kegs.com
(419)531-5347. They have excellent service, excellent prices, and excellent products.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No need

Post by fitz »

There is no need to change anything except the rubber products like Billy said. The Dip tubes can be cleaned. If the cannisters held a rootbeer product, make sure you replace all of these things. The root beer stays with you a long time. I got sanitizing tablets(like they use in a bar) and put them into a keg with hot water. I then proceeded to shoot this through the system with CO2 it was pretty effective at cleaning out the tubes and keg. You replace the o rings and seals, and you are ready to go. I do have coke and pepsi kegs. Billy had good advice for the quick connect being threaded. The fittings will cost you 3 to 5 dollars per a connect beer out, and gas in. Other than that, the Coke kegs that I have are slightly shorter and fatter. This may help if you don't have the head room in your beer cooler.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sabco

Post by fitz »

I went to the Sabco site, and it looks like they do have some pretty good prices. I also looked at the Turkey fryer. For someone getting stared into all grain, it would make a good brew kettle. They even have a siphon arm for it.
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Sabco

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the Sabco brew kettle. It's great!

Nate