carbouy cleaning update and keg conditioning

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

carbouy cleaning update and keg conditioning

Post by bredmakr »

A while ago I posted questions about cleaning two nasty carbouys. Here is the status .... After a good wash out with the garden hose to dislodge as many solids as possible I soaked both with PBW cleaner and hot tap water for 24 hours. I then scrubbed with a carbouy brush and drained. Next, I soaked with cold tap water and 1/2 cup of clorox bleach. As a matter of fact they are still soaking after a week. I will definately use these again and I am confident that they are now sterile.

now with my question. for this years holiday brews I'm planning ahead. this allows for some additional aging time and thus my question. this year I would like to cask/keg condition my brews and need advice. In a 5 gal corny how much primer should I use and what type (dme/corn sugar/honey)? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

co2

Post by joemez »

I force caronate. Its super easy, takes less time then getting the suger ready and makes sediment free beer.
I just get the keg nice and cool then bump the pressure up to 30 or 40 #(depending on how carbonated you like it) and rock the keg until you dont hear the gas flowing anymore. usually takes a good 5 to 10 minutes. Then just let it sit for an hour and you can sample it. whammo!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

DME

Post by Freon12 »

I cask condition using DME. Gooood stuff!
1cup = low carbonation 1.5 vol about
1.25 cup = 2.0
1.5 cup= 3.0

Results may vary, past performance is no indication of furture results. Respondent has no direct knowledge of using kegs other than his own, no warrenties are implied or inferred.

S.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

I wont hold you liable..

Post by bredmakr »

Thanks,

I'll put it to the test and I wont hold you responsible for any variation in your indicated performance.

Mike
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wow Steve

Post by fitz »

I thought you were in HVAC I didn't know you were a corporate lawyer.