Counter pressure bottling systems

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Counter pressure bottling systems

Post by jayhawk »

Who here uses a counter pressure bottling system? I am currently exploring all things related to kegging etc, so I would like to hear of anyone's experience with these bottle filler uppers. Please tell me the procedure too, and if you think it is worth it. Cost of one of these doo-dads would be helpful too.

Thanks
Chris
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Pain in the !@#

Post by KBrau »

I bought the CounterPhil Counter Pressure Bottle Filler about 3 years ago when I started kegging and I have found it over the years to be a waste. I think I paid about $45 for it. Most of the time I just keg the beer and don't bother with bottles at all although when I do bottle, I have found that I prefer to use the old fashioned way of bottle conditioning. It does come in handy though on the few instances I want to bottle just a few bottles. I am sure they make nicer counterpressure fillers then the one I bought although to bottle more than a few is a pain in the !@#. The biggest problem being that you will undoubtedly lose some carbonation while capping. Well that is my 2 cents.

Rich
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

lots of options

Post by bredmakr »

I use a double valve counter pressure bottle filler. It works really well. Especially now that I have finally figured out how to use it. Although I bought mine, this is the type of gizmo that can be built.

The idea is pressurize the empty bottle with CO2 by opening the CO2 valve and releasing a short blast. Then close the CO2 valve. Then open the beer line. as beer fills the bottle a pressure release valve allows for the CO2 to escape while maintaining a constant pressure within the bottle. Thus, you don't have foaming because the pressure in the bottle is the same as in the keg. If however, your pressure relief valve is not set correctly and the pressure is not relieved then LOOK OUT. The bottle will, under these conditions, fill very slowly and when you pull the filler from the bottle it will be like pulling a cork out of champaigne bottle. I've cleaned my kitchen ceiling twice as a result of this. Now that I have the pressure relief valve figured out it goes much smoother. Some foaming is good b/c it ensures that all 02 is removed from the bottle. The cap it and you are good to go.

prices may have changed since I bought mine five years ago but I would figure you could get one for under $50.

good luck with your search.

Mike
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Big pain in the !@#!

Post by hophead »

If you have an extra hour and a half, basic soldering skills, and a local Home Depot you can make one for about $10. I only use mine if I want to bottle a 6er or two for a party or I sometimes bottle the remains of a keg if I need the space. It will take you twice as long to bottle with CPF as with an equal number of primed bottles. It will be a "messy" experience learning to use it. The only advantag, that I see, is when your finished you have a crystal clear bottle of home brew without the layer of yeast at the bottom.
Good luck and if your still interested, email me and I'll send ya the plans for the one I made.