Dumb Question...

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Framnk

Dumb Question...

Post by Framnk »

I've been brewing for about 1 year now but there's something that I've never been 100% sure of. When you add aroma or flavor hops at the end of the boil, does this mean you should remove the boiling hops or leave them in?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bittering hop removal

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I have to ask a question in order to attempt to answer your's. Do you use flowers or pellets.

If you use flowers, then yes you want to remove them before you cool, at the end of boil, hopefully these are in a musslin sack. If you use pellets then no you don't have to remove them at the end of the boil. Actually it would be pretty difficult to remove them.

Ask more if I have not gotten your concern correct OK?

Paul.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Boil them silly

Post by jayhawk »

Boiling hops are meant to be boiled for the entire duration of your boil regardless of when or if you add flavour and /or aroma hops. As the venerable Azorean said, you will want to remove whole hops once the boil is done, but pellets will have to remain in wort until you rack the beer to the secondary and they are left behind in the trub. Hope this helps clear it up for you.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

no need to remove

Post by canman »

you don't have to remove the hops prior to chilling. You don't want them all in your fermenter though. leave them behind in the boil pot after draining. Whole hops make a wonderful filter for your boil pot drain