First Wort Hop Schedule Question ?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

First Wort Hop Schedule Question ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Beer Team,

I have been reading a lot about first wort hop additions, if you have never heard of it, it is adding half of your bittering in your first wort runnings before boil starts. It is supposed to give you a more rounded and complex hop bittering and flavor.

My Question is "Do you use this practice
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

This is how I do it

Post by Raydownunder »

Hi Paul

I add my flavouring hops at the beginning of the wort run off from my mash tun (first wort hop). You need to allow the bittering calculation as a 40min boil. Do not add any flavoring hops, as FWH will give you a nice round smooth flavour profile.
So add your flavoring hops at run off then add your bittering hops at the start of the boil and aroma hops at the end. Give it a go you will not be disappointed
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Probably a stupud question...

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Do you add the hops to the lauter tun or to the kettle? I would guess the lauter tun, but want to be sure. Thanks
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No question is stupid ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

MH,

I have never done the first wort hopping but it goes into the kettle with the first runnings.
That is the way I understand it from all of my readings.

What I do is as soon as I have 1-2 gallons in my pot I turn on the heat, and continue to add my sparge runnings as the beginings start to heat up.

From what Ray says it is what you would normally use for your flavor hops. Thats where I am a little confused. The literarture I can find talks about spilting up the bittering hops into either 50%, 75% or 100% in the first wort runnings (IN THE KETTLE), and then the rest if there is any at your normal bittering schedule.

I will try it and start to track my schedules and find out what I really like. Hope that this helps,

Paul.
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Its really simple

Post by Raydownunder »

Hi Guys

With First wort hopping all you have to do is throw in all you flavour hops into the kettle. With your first runoff from your mash tun let the hops soak in your kettle. This lets the hops soak in the kettle at the run off temperature. Do your sparging as normal but let the hops soak till at least half the kettle is full. Then start your boil as you are still sparging. All you have to do is make sure you allowed the flavour hops as a 40 min boil in your recipe calculations. As us Aussies say give it a go.

Cheers
Ray Mills
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

???

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Do I need to remove the first wort hops before I start my boil??? Thanks

Nate
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Leave hops in boiler

Post by Raydownunder »

G'day

Just leave the hops in the boiler. Just make sure you are using fresh hops.

Cheers
Ray Mills