A Question About Mead

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Zarathustra

A Question About Mead

Post by Zarathustra »

I made two 5 gallon batches of mead over 4 years ago. Both batches have been sealed in 5 gallon stainless steel containers and stored at room temperature. Is this stuff still drinkable?
kingoftheharpies

ABSOLUTELY

Post by kingoftheharpies »

Around here in minneapolis they say 25 year or Polish mead...some older mead makers have 30 year old mead...so 4 years...its still quite young for a mead.

Kris
Zarathustra

Thanks

Post by Zarathustra »

Thanks for the reply. I had a guy at a homebrew supply store tell me that my mead may not be good because of long term exposure to sediments in the containers and what he termed "unavoidable" exposure to air. I guess I'm going to have to try it...I can't see how it can be harmful.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

How sealed?

Post by fitz »

How sealed are these containers.
You may have made a sparkling mead if the yeast had not completed it fermentation.
Honey is a notorious slow ferment. The sugars are complex enough, that it takes a while for the yeast to convert and ferment the sugars. That is why the longer you store mead the better it taste, because the flavors have a chance to mellow. At room temp, the mead will age quicker, the same goes with any wine. You mead may be prime for consumption, give it a try.