Question: One Step vs. Oxyclean ? ? ?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Question: One Step vs. Oxyclean ? ? ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Happy Memorial Day everyone,

The question I have is: Is there a difference between Oxyclean and One Step? I think 4 pounds of Oxyclean is a lot cheaper than One Step; I just want to know if they are interchangeable before I use Oxyclean...

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What I Know

Post by BillyBock »

Hey, Paul. How's your latest brew?

One Step, PBW, and Oxyclean are all percarbonate cleaners--in that sense they're interchangeable. However, from what I've been able to tell they are very similar in content with the exception that Oxyclean (and similar products) uses an anti-caking thing in their product (I think--not sure).

Personally, I've used Oxyclean on a trial basis. I've noticed that if you let it sit too long a stubborn residue will collect on your vessel. I'm not sure what the residue is, but since I know it's alkaline I'd follow with a strong acid bath (using Star San) and that dissolved it. I've used it mainly on kegs and haven't noticed any undesirable flavors. I've just been making sure the keg is spotless.

When I use Oxyclean, I use it at 1 Tbsp (or less) per gallong, very hot tap water, and let her rip. After an hour, I'll drain and give it a very hot tap water rinse. The last step is an acid rinse just to make sure there's nothing left over.

I'm still debating the use of Oxyclean in my procedures, however. Anybody else with information?

v/r
Bill
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Percarbonates... Same ideas, different formulations....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Oxyclean lacks the wetting ability that PBW has and has rinsing agents sequestered in it that prevent film buildup and redeposition, unlike all of the other percarbs. including One Step.

Oxyclean was developed as a fabric cleaner, but it is also marketed as a surface cleaner, particularly for grout. As long as it is not purchased in packets, PBW is cheaper, more effective and less is required to do the job. The key to this effectiveness lies within the fact that PBW will not re-deposit removed soils. If properly rinsed (at the same temperature that you used with the PBW), PBW should not require an acid rinse every time in a typical homebrew setting.

Eric
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Water Temp

Post by BillyBock »

Do you need to use hot tap water with PBW, or will it work fine with hi pressure cold water as is the case with an outdoor garden hose?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

PBW Specifics...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Regarding Five Star's Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW), here are the specifics of it's attibutes and it's usage:

P.B.W. is a buffered alkaline detergent that has been proven to be more than an effective substitute for caustic soda cleaners. Because of its formulation it can out-perform caustic cleaners (sodium hydroxide) and will not corrode soft metals. It relies upon active oxygen (this part IS similar to Oxyclean, but in much stronger formulation), and a mild alkali to equal the perfomance of caustics. In addition, the activated oxygen in this product helps in reducing the biological oxygen demand in the water that is rinsed down the drain. This is a highly positive attribute in that it reduces the impact that cleaning solutions can have on municipal waste water systems. Not a big deal on a homebrew scale, but every bit helps!

PBW was formulated as a clean in place (CIP, where no equipment is dissasembled, but rather cleaned as installed) and is very effective in removing protein based soils in brew kettles, mash/lauter tuns and fermenters. The surfactant package in this product has been designed to actively defoam at 100
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Eric

Post by fitz »

Eric, I don't know if you caught the thread a few months ago. I like to beer clean all of my equip and drinking glasses, but I am lazy. A year or so ago I started putting 2 TBS of PBW in the soak portion of the dishwasher, and 2 TBS of Pickling salt on the wash portion of it. I have very clean equip without the hassle of hand washing. Talk about head retention!