Recipe Selection for Party Advice

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Recipe Selection for Party Advice

Post by BillyBock »

I'm in need of some suggestions, because I sit here wondering. Wondering what the heck I'm gonna brew up for my promotion party sometime in May, about 60 days away.

I estimate anywhere between 25 and 50 coworkers will be present. Some will be beer aficionados, but most will be your American mega-brew crowd. And some, from both sides of the fence, are serious guzzlers. I'm an AG brewer, but I'll go extract on these batches since they'll probably be consumed rather quickly and I don't want to put in alot of effort (however, I do have my reputation to uphold :-) ). I'm acquiring the parts for my draught system. I currently have 2 corny kegs and 4 party pigs. And as far as temperature control, making lagers in the garage is no problem. However, ambient temp in the garage is in the 50*F's; I don't have a heater in the freezer to get it into ale range. So until the weather here in TX warms up, ales would have to be done in the house which is at an ambient of 71*F. Might make them somewhat fruity, but I'll compensate somewhat with a clean yeast like Nottingham. As far as my personal tastes, I'm a bitter beer kinda guy, I love stouts and IPAs.

So what say y'all? What to make? How much to make? And should I buy some Miller or Coors (gasp!)

v/r
Bill
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

painful scrutiny

Post by Fraoch »

Nothing worse than making great beer and have someonr taste it and tell you its good when you know they are lying!If its reputation you are worried about then stick to AG.Make your most successful beer in large quantities( itll still never be enough).If you cant get temp for ale yeast then why not make a dark lager or rather a pale ale or bitter with a lager yeast.Your friends will never know unless you tell them.If yopu have lots of it left then it was no good.But if you make extract(im not knocking extract by the way) and then proceed to tell them that you also make all grain the next question will be " well where is it then?".
50 co workers? hell your going to need over 200 pints or so, thats only 4 each!Get cracking my man!
Myself? id also make it a BYO also
Best of luck
Fraoch
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ooooho.(short sounding)

Post by Freon12 »

Who could not love a wheat beer!
I would cut some of the offerings to 80% of the gravity(for crowd and budget concerns).

I have seen a person order a Coors light at a brew pub and pay the same price as a craft brew!.....................................

As mesa says: " Brew for yyour self as a homebrewer and brew for the masses as a pro"sort of..

S.
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Anything but Miller or Coors!

Post by stouts »

How about a Czech Pils w/ the bittering cut back a tad?
Jay
Sven
Light Lager
Light Lager

Good Idea

Post by Sven »

That's probabaly a very good idea. That way you will please the 'masses', and you will also teach them what their usual drink SHOULD taste like.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bitter, or pale ale

Post by fitz »

If I were going to throw a party for non home brewers, and you actually don't want a complete culture shock, I think I would go with an English Bitter, or Pale Ale. You can still brew those with the lager yeast, and it would probably suit the mega swill drinkers better also, since most of those are lagers. I would probably have some commercial crap there also, since you are entertaining, and if they are too programmed to this type of beer, then they may not embrace your beer no matter how good it tastes.
Anyway, good luck. I have been trying to convert some friends and family over to the world of taste for a few years now.
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

How to deal with Coors Fans

Post by zeno »

I obviously have nowhere near the brewing experience you do (I still do extract), but I do have one up on you...

Being a college guy brewer, I know the issues with home brew and Bud Light fans... Nothing like trying to culture a non-cultured frat boy.. So with this in mind, and knowing that I don't have your brewing knowledge, here's my advice on how to please a Budweiser/Coors crowd..

Domestic Conglomerate supporters generally hate extreme tastes.. Too much hops, and they will hate it.. LIKEWISE, too much body will turn them off.. I failed to please the masses for a long time because I was trying to make the beer more malty and less hoppy.. When I made an American brown with mild hops, a little roast, and mild maltyness, my biggest critic (and Coors light fan) drank 3 in the first sitting...

Aged Lager
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

offensive and foul language

Post by Fraoch »

i thoufght that there was a ban on offensive material and foul language on Beertools.If thats the case why am i reading such abhorrensies( is that a word?) as Coors,Miller and Bud Light?Wheres Jeff? Im suprised he has allowed this to continue,it shouldnt be allowed, it really shouldnt.
Beer police.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks All

Post by BillyBock »

Wow, thanks to all for all the suggestions. I'll take your advice into consideration and let you know what I come up with.

Oh and Fraoch, I'll try to remember not use swear with the likes of words like: *ud, *oors, and *iller :-)

v/r
Bill