chinook hops?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

philip

chinook hops?

Post by philip »

just used chinooks in my first all grain! strong bitter smelling buggers they are.

anyone recommend some good ones? (hops that is.) and other then hallertau and saaz, let's see some originality.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Big Fish

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I love chinooks, but you do have to have a healthy respect for their strength. Used in moderation as bittering hops in a pale ale, I think they're great. I have never used them for finishing, but they are supposed to give a nice aroma if again used in moderation. I have more recently been using galena in their place - around the same alpha content, but maybe a, slightly more neutral bitterness. I just tried using perle to bitter a hoppy PA intended to lay right in the middle of the SN Pale Ale/Celebration Ale continuum of bitterness/strength/body/color/aroma. After 2 weeks of conditioning in the keg, it has turned all the big corners, is tasting fine, and won't last long.

Those are my three current favorites for bittering most hop-biased Amarican ales.

Cheers,
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Crystal

Post by jayhawk »

I am experimenting heavily with Crystal hops. A really great flavour/aroma hop. Great for PAs to amber ales, blends well with goldings or cascade. Centennial is my current bittering hop, and it works well with the cascade/goldings/crystal blends I use often.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

MT. Hood

Post by Freon12 »

I want to buy a big bag of Mt. Hood and just roll around on the floor in them and .....

Oops, got a little giddy.
Sorry.

S.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Please...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

You are supposed to be passionate ABOUT your beer, not IN your beer!
philip

fantastico

Post by philip »

thanks a bunch guys, maybe it's the fact i've not given my chinnies thier due time yet... oh and freon12, get a room man... i think hopsterbation may be illegal in this state.

kidding cheers and thanks.
Save The Ales

Using Chinook

Post by Save The Ales »

Been using Chinook pellets (11.9%) for the past half dozen batches - seems fine to me. Switched off from Bullion which was about the same Alpha, but the Bullion gives a higher "pucker" factor.

Paul
Lonely Mountain

columbus is the best!

Post by Lonely Mountain »

columbus from yakima valley is the very best bittering hops there is. dry hopping with columbus is dramatic!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Save the drama for the jury, big boy

Post by jayhawk »

I am with you on the bittering quality of columbus, I especially like it with Hallertau or Saaz..but dry hopping I am not sure...what exactly do you mean by dramatic?