yeast in the bottle

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mikey22

yeast in the bottle

Post by mikey22 »

Hello, I am new to brewing and this discussion page has been very beneficial to me, so first of all thanks to all. My question has to do with carbonation. I am making a Scotch Ale, and so far everything has gone according to the book, the fermentation took a few days to start, but once it did, it bubbled like mad. I used a secondary fermenter, worked out great, plenty of left over sediment. I bottled it all on Sunday and as of Tuesday a good amount of yeast was on the bottom of all my bottles. I guess I am just worrying but the beer looks clear, but looks kind of thin too, like it's flat. Is carbonation ever visisble? Does this happen in the fridge? It's in the bathroom in the basement right now. Thanks, Mike.
cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

invisible

Post by cyto »

carbonation happens because CO2 builds up in the air space till it exceeds the vapor pressure of CO2 in the beer. It takes a little time and is invisible. I usually bottle condition 2-3 weeks at room temp then fridge. Thats my 2 cents anyway.
Jargent

It ain't flat

Post by Jargent »

Hey there,
I'm relatively new to the game too, and I had the same worry with my first batch of ale. Looked at it in the bottle, looks like it's flat. But then I looked at my regular Sam Adams, and it looked pretty flat too. So it's not just us... :)
Once I popped open the bottles, it foamed quite a bit. So, I agree with cyto, it's not a problem. Wait for tasty fun and see what happens when you open it.
mikey22

cool

Post by mikey22 »

Thanks for the comments. I did notice the same thing looking at the Bass in my Fridge too. It is all starting to make sense. I have to say that half of the fun of this hobby so far has been emptying pop top bottles!