sightglass ideas

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

sightglass ideas

Post by canman »

any ideas for adding a sight glass. Here in Eastern Canada, allgrain is pretty scarce. Parts are nonexistant and mail order from the USA is insane on shipping. Any homemade ideas?? Thanks
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

my sightglasses

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I use the clear plastic from a couple of old bottling wands (spring ends removed of course), with graduations made using a Sharpie. I just connect these to upright brass barbed fittings on my kettles with a short piece of tubing. I am not completely satisfied with it because the non-rigid connection means I have to hold the sightglass vertically to get the best reading, but I have not had any problems with heat turning the canes milky or anything.

I also use a t-connection to put the sight glass right off my outlet valve fitting. Not ideal because you cannot read levels while you are draining the kettle - you have to close the valve to take a reading. The up side was I did not have to drill another hole to add the sight.

There is also a How To on adding a sight glass using braided tubing in the last BYO.

Cheers,
Jim