Lagering?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

fcsmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lagering?

Post by fcsmike »

Ok...I wan't to try a lager but I don't have a spare fridge; I live in northern Canada so it's too cold outside. My basement stays around 14 celsius, all the literature I have read says that lager yeast works between 2 and 15 c. 'Start at the high end and finish at the low end'. Can I just keep it at the high end or will it become too yeasty?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lucky dog

Post by Freon12 »

I want a basement with a constant tempreture too!

Anyway, a small tube to the outside might work?
A carboy heater? A move to the US?

What I try to do is keep the lager within the range that is ideal for that strain of yeast(website info) it will keep the "fruity" flavors away for that clean Lager taste.

You can make any beer with lager yeasts at ale tempreture and have a good beer, it may not be what was intended but ok anyway, not yeasty. Steam beer is the obvious example.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Jerry riggin'

Post by jayhawk »

This is an idea I have been pondering for a while to save on the cost of a fridge. You could build an insulated box big enough for the fermenter and a small electric space heater. Put the box outside and connect the heater to a temp controlled switch that you could set at the desired temp range. When things get to cold, the heater would turn on, keeping the box and beer at a relatively constant temp. Conversly, when the temp was high enough, the heater would shut off. This way you can fend off the elements and not have to make room in your house and budget for another fridge.

BTW, what part of Canada are you talking. I am now in Maple Ridge BC, just outside Vancouver.

Chris
fcsmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thought about that hmmm

Post by fcsmike »

I'm from Edmonton, the box sounds good. I thought about the heated box, a thermostat switch and light bulb/heater. Even a car block heater might be enough if it was well insulated.