DME Priming

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

LeBrew

DME Priming

Post by LeBrew »

Hello. I am planning on brewing an Oatmeal Stout in the very near future and am planning on switching from Corn Sugar to DME for bottling/priming. I was in my local homebrew supply store and saw that they had Chocolate Malt DME. I am considering using that for priming instead of light DME. I am wondering if any has ever used the chocolate DME before for priming, and if so, how much extra flavor does it put into the beer. Thanks.
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Priming

Post by Team Beer »

For the type of beer you have brewed I doubt you will notice much of an "extra" flavor change with the addition of Choc. DME. Due to the amount normally used for priming. However one benefit of priming with DME ( in my own experience ) was overall flavor. When I was bottling using corn sugar I always detected an off flavor, switching to DME the off flavor disappeared.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Agree, and

Post by fitz »

You should notice better head formation and retention with the DME. Depending on the type you use(light, amber, etc.) You'll notice a difference in carbonation as well.
LeBrew

Thanks

Post by LeBrew »

Thanks for the input. When the beer is finished I'll stop by and give an update.