what is peated malt?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

knonsuch

what is peated malt?

Post by knonsuch »

I am new to homebrewing and I have been going over the recipes for Scotch Ales and have seen peated malt called for. My question is how is peated malt produced and can it be reproduced at home using the base 2-row malt or marris otter?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Got a bog?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Peated malt is malt that has been smoked over a turf or peat fire. The fantastic smokey flavor in Laphroig (I know that spelling is wrong) or some of the other killer single malt scothces from Islay, Scotland, is from the use of peated malt.

Peat is cut out of bogs, dried, and used as household fuel in rural Scotland and western Ireland. If you can find a similar source of fuel, you should be able to reproduce peated malt. If you use wood for smoking, you will probably end up with a malt that is similar to the German rauch malt. Both can be found online, though, and I would purchase it (you won't need much)rather than trying to make your own.

Cheers,
Jim
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

bogged down...

Post by HomeBrew »

This sounds great. If anyone knows of a source for peated malt, please post it...
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

try this one...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/200110

This is from Homebrewer Outpost. I have seen a couple of suppliers indicate they are looking for a new source of peated malt as well. Good time of the year for a smoked porter, hmmm?

Cheers,
Jim
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks...

Post by HomeBrew »

Think I'll give them a look -- thanks, Jim.