New Batch time - cooking on my wood stove

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

New Batch time - cooking on my wood stove

Post by stumpwater »

Hello forum, been a bit since I posted so I thought I would drop a line on my newest path to beer.
A couple months back I stopped brewing after a big fiasco with my propane burner. Luckily, the fiasco did not involve the fire department though the huge carbon mess left me with three days of intense clean-up. Not wanting a repeat episode, I put my brewing on hold. Well, hopefully no longer. I installed a wood burning stove in the addition of my house and I am planning to cook my first batch of beer on it tomorrow. I am hoping that the new stove will not only heat the back of my house, but will become a new tool for renewing my beer brewing hobby. Since the back room addition is over my "none too useable as a car port garage", I am hoping the wood stove will serve all of my great Canadian winter brewing needs and the garage will get converted into my dream brewery. Wish me luck all and I will keep you posted on the delights or dreads of cooking beer over a wood fire. The snow bank just out the patio door looks like it will become my wort chiller.

High Hopes!

Stefan
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Rock on

Post by Push Eject »

Take pictures.

Ollie
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rocks

Post by Freon12 »

Speaking of rocks, couldn't you heat rocks and boil with rocks as in that unnamed micro that heats rocks in the pizza oven to boil beer?

Just a thought there Stumpy, I would not want any hot rock type accidents or nothn'.

Good to see your voice!

Steve P.S. I think they use Volcanic not sedimentary rocks.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

fellow Canuck

Post by canman »

Hey Stump: I'm just building a 3 teir system right now. What are you using for kettles? Used kegs are impossible to find North of The Border.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

still waiting for trivets

Post by stumpwater »

Well, I haven't brewed it yet since the stove trivets I ordered aren't in yet. (blah blah blah)
But here is hoping.
Hey Canman! I bought the 64 litre aluminum stock pot sold at Canadian Tire at a reasonable price. I did some research into using aluminum and have concluded that the risk of contamination is minimal. I haven't noticed any metallic flavours in the beer yet either. This forum had an active debate on using aluminum vs. stainless steel a number of months back. I checked with the alzheimer's society and there is no positive corellation between aluminum and alzheimer's disease as the study results were mostly inconclusive. The other thing you can do is to get a keg from the beer store for a $50 deposit and then not return it. I contacted the distribution centre in London Ontario about buying used kegs and they told me that they don't have them but if you pay the keg deposit and don't return the keg then you are out the deposit money and nothing else. To me that says that used kegs have a $50 price tag (he he). Good luck with your 3 tier system. I am not sure how to incorporate the wood stove into such a system, but I am looking into it (smile)

Stefan

p.s. good brewing to you all in this new year!
p.s. the rocks