starter question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

starter question

Post by dartedplus »

OK, the starter is started, my question is, when I add it to my wort, do I add the whole thing or just the slurry???

Ed...if I drink too much, I start to slurry my speech
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Everyone into the pool!

Post by Freon12 »

I like to add the whole 2litre starter for two reasons:

1) Some yeast is still suspended in the soultion.

2) The alcohol content of the starter may kill some undesirable microbes.

Freon... I was Berry drunk Friday.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Get that conical.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Ed,

Here is a prime example of the use of the fermenter that you want. First in answer to your question. Yes add the entire volume, unless you feel that there is a large amount of sediment from any previous pitches (assuming this was collected from a slurry). Adding the a measured volume is the only indication you have to judge your pitch rate.

Now if you had your conical you could be more selective about which yeast you collect for repitching. I know am a @$%^&*+! I hope you get your Christmas present. If you need a selling point figure out how much you can save on yeast if you brew often enough.

Good brewing.

Tom F.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I do plan on saving some of this slurry

Post by dartedplus »

Once I rack this batch, I do plan on saving some of the slurry so I can make another batch out of it sometime down the road. How long of a shelf life will it have???
e
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Starter Answer

Post by Push Eject »

Ed,
If your starter is at full krausen (high foamy goodness) add the whole thing, if the krausen has FALLEN, decant the liquid and pitch just the slurry.

That's the real deal, dude!
Enjoy!
Cheers,
Ollie
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yeast Washing

Post by BillyBock »

Hey, Darted. Maybe you should consider yeast washing? It'll help you shed dead yeast, trub, and other matter from the yeast. I've been reading up on it because I have a primary that's coming to a close and I want to retain the yeast, but it'll probably be at least a month before I brew again. As I understand it, washed yeast can sit under sterile water (or beer--good use for Bud, eh?) for a month before there's a significant loss in viability. But of course before you use them, you should wake them up with a starter. Here's the link:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/hbyewash.htm

Here's an article I found on acid washing:
http://brewpubmag.com/99sep/craftbrewer.html

Hope this helps.
v/r
Bill