conical info

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

conical info

Post by dartedplus »

I still have it stuck in my head that I NEED to have a conical fermenter. So following the links etc... in an ad in BYO, I found that you can get the hopper and lid for a 12.5 gal coni from Toledo Metal Spinning for $131. then you just have to buy the bottom dump ($49) and if you want the racking arm ($99). A stand would not be too hard to make assuming you ro someone you know can do some welding, and now for about $280 you can have a 304ss 12.5 gallon conical fermenter. (as compared to the $500 price tag at BBB. Just thought I would pass this info along so that it can go on your Santa lists if necessary. For other goodies, check out the zymico website at www.zymico.com

Ed
still dreaming of a coni...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

A Conical Consideration

Post by BillyBock »

When I upgraded my brewery, I went head-long and picked up a Minibrew 12 gal. conical. I love it to death---I've made a few great brews in it. That was when it was winter in Nebraska.

Then the warm weather came and I realized the only consideration I failed to make in advance was: how the heck to control the thing's temperature.

Now I'm in Texas and have temporarily gone back to carboys and chest freezers until I can figure out an approach to insulate and cool my conical (esp. important during the hot Texas summers!)

Moral of the story: Don't be a boob like Bill. Determine how you'll cool one of these behemoths before you purchase it :-)

v/r
Bill
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Minibrew 2nd

Post by andytv »

I'm with you Bill. I have three minibrew conicals. I also have a hell of a time in the summer, but I have a long term solution and also an interim one; I'm starting on my garage next spring, and I plan on building an underground block room that I can keep at ale temps all summer. If I don't get done in time for summer, I'm gonna put a window AC in my brew room, I should be able to maintain Ale temps like that. Lager will be more difficult; I always have my eye open for a walk-in fridge. What do you clean your minibrew with? Mine always seems to have a "sour" odor that i can't get rid of. It doesn't affect the beer, but I worry.

Andy
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Five Star

Post by BillyBock »

Isn't it great, the lengths we go through to keep yeastie beasties happy? :-)

Your sour odor may be coming from a hidden source of trapped grunge. Take off the fittings and clean & sanitize them separately periodically.

For cleaning and sanitizing, I'm a big fan of Five Star products--the makers of PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) and Star San (sanitizer). These are awesome products IMHO. A little soak in PBW and the grunge slides right off (no scrubbing!). Afterwards, I'll run some Star San through the conical and collect it again to kill any bugs before storage. Star San is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going and going. It's slightly more expensive that your other sanitizers, but it can be reused for a long time. When it dries, it leaves a protective, sanitizing film (food-grade) on the surface. You can also keep a spray bottle handy for spot sanitizing. I keep a pail set aside just for it. Star San foams when poured, and the foam is just as effective at sanitizing as the liquid. Prior to filling with the fermenter with wort, I'll do the same steps using the pump to push the products through the counterflow chiller and into the awaiting fermenter and then I'll drain it back into it's bucket. I LOVE this stuff!

v/r
Bill

P.S. Did I mention how much I LOVE this stuff? :-) (A shameless plug). Check it out

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/homebrew/index.html