ALERT: In the newest version, grain absorption was moved from a preference to a recipe setting

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

ALERT: In the newest version, grain absorption was moved from a preference to a recipe setting

Post by bpylant »

And, oddly enough, even though it's in the recipe section, under Schedule, this appears to still be a global setting (if I change it on one recipe, all the rest update as well).

Sort of.

If you had opened and then saved a recipe before changing this from the default (1.0 kg/l) then the setting is overwritten as a local value and does not update with the rest.

So this is in some weird grey area between a bug, a usability issue, and a feature.

One thing is for sure: now I have to go through all of my recipes and double-check this setting is properly applied to all of them. Not happy.
BTP 2.1.2 64-Bit
Database 11.1
macOS 12.2
MacBook Pro (14 Inch, 2021)
32GB RAM
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: ALERT: In the newest version, grain absorption was moved from a preference to a recipe setting

Post by jeff »

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with BeerTools Pro. I try to implement some customer feature requests and this is one of them. It was included in the release notes under “v2.1.0.3 2020-12-10”. If a recipe is opened that was saved prior to this feature, the value defaults to the last used grain absorption rate. Then, when the recipe is saved again, the value is included in the data.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: ALERT: In the newest version, grain absorption was moved from a preference to a recipe setting

Post by bpylant »

Guess I missed that, sorry. I still think it's something to point out, for anyone else who missed it. It was very confusing as I prepped for last weekend's brew session, until I realized what was going on.

> try to implement some customer feature requests

So how about those brewday timers that we started talking about in 2013? :shock:

> Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with BeerTools Pro.

I've been a dedicated BTP user since at least 2006 (that's the earliest post I see of mine on the forum). So over 15 years. I'm clearly not "dissatisfied" with BTP. In fact I still tell people I think it's among the best brewing apps available. I mentioned one frustrating thing, that's all. Which is one of the purposes of a user forum. (Not that a lot of people participate, but that's a different topic.)
BTP 2.1.2 64-Bit
Database 11.1
macOS 12.2
MacBook Pro (14 Inch, 2021)
32GB RAM