Weyermann Pilsner Malt

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Weyermann Pilsner Malt

Post by BillyBock »

Is it necessary to do a protein rest for this malt or can I do a standard single infusion without ill effect? If it needs a protein rest and I don't do it, what's the impact?

The recipe is for an Octoberfest. The grist is approx. 1/3 Vienna, 1/3 Munich, and 1/3 Pils, with a little Aromatic and Caramunich thrown in.

Thanks in advance...I brew tomorrow after 6 long months of not brewing--woohoo! May the brew gods be with me.

v/r
Bill
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Weyermann Pils Mashing...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I make sort of a Warsteiner light using this malt as 95% of the grist supplimented with 5% CaraFoam at my pub. I have done this with and without a protein rest and could not tell any difference. Doing it anyway will not negatively impact the beer. The malt's spec sheet values also suggest it is unneccesary. A more important thing to do with this and other continental European malts is make sure to do a mash out rest. After the saccrification rest is complete and the mash passes the conversion test, raise the grist temperature of the mash to 168 deg. F and hold it there for 10 minutes. This will increase efficiency when using these malts because they are less modified than their English and American counterparts and will ensure enzymatic denaturation.

Eric
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks Much, Mesa

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks for the info, Mesa. As always you're a fountain of knowledge. I let you know how it pans out....today is brew day, may the beer gods be with me. Amen.

v/r
Bill
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Update

Post by BillyBock »

Well, Mesa, I brewed it Sunday. I planned to use a protein rest at 122F and a mashout at 170F. But I didn't have enough room in the MLT to add the boiling water infusion for mash out. :-(

My protein rest ended up at 130F instead of 122F. It rested for 25 minutes, then I brought it up to 150F (was shooting for 153F). I rested at sach. for 60 minutes then I began a batch sparge. My sparge water unfortunately cooled down to about 165F (in the HLT) due to problems getting it pumped up. When I checked the initial pH at the sach. rest, I was shocked to see that it was 4.7! I had to add chalk, and got it up to 5.1, probably not ideal but close. The problem turned out to be my tap water, which normally has a pH of 7.6--Sunday it was 6.4! Note to self: check the water pH before using.

What effect do you think this mash schedule will have on the final product? Well it wasn't a completely bad day; any day you can brew is a good day. I was a little rusty since I hadn't brewed in 6 months, but it's happily fermenting at 50F right now. Waiting is the hardest part.

v/r
Bill