The Realization...

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The Realization...

Post by dartedplus »

I have just come to a very clear understanding that my yeast is not healthy enough to achieve a full fermentation. I just racked off 2 gallons of my wit into gallon jugs with about 1 1/4 pounds of blackberries divided between the two of them. I added some yeast to these jugs, not much, and I had another fermentation going in a matter of minutes. So I figured what the hell, I'll add some more to the remaining 3 gallons. I added about 1/3 of a packet of dried yeast, and voila, almost instant fermentation.

So I guess the moral of the story is that I need to "get me one of them there" magnetic stirrers for X-mas so that I can have totally healthy yeast to put into my worts. And then I can have the massive kreusen that some here have spoken about.

For those of you just starting, heed my warning about weak yeast, it is hard for them to finish the job because they get pooped out.

Go the extra mile and make a starter, add the oxygen, and get them healthy enough and large enough(in quantity) that they will be able to handle the job you are about to send them to.

I guess thats enough...boy I cant wait to try this Wit wit Blackberry

enough said....Ed
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Word Up!

Post by andytv »

I came to this realization after two batches of crappy beer. I brew 12.5 gallons at a time (works good with a 15 gal coni) and I found that I am the most successful with three packages of dry yeast in a 1500ml starter (w/ oxygen, magnetic stirring, and the works).

I second your warning to new homebrewers; MAKE A STARTER!! Theres a war going on in your fermentor, and you want the yeast to win!